Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse sequences in merged WebHelp

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working on a merged WebHelp project and I've noticed that in the output each child project's browse sequence is handled individually. That is, there's a full stop at the end of the browse sequence for each child project and I have to select the first topic in the next child project within the TOC to start that browse sequence. Is there a way to integrate these so that the browse sequences are handled consecutively?

Incidentally, has anybody else noticed a long delay in loading the TOC in Firefox when one of the child project outputs is missing? This help file contains information for 3 separate but related software products, so users may have between 1 and 3 of the products (and, consequently, between 1 and 3 of the child help files) on their machine. If anyone has any ideas on how to kick Firefox into displaying the TOC in a more timely fashion, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Melinda

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

I have noticed that although changing the refresh rate fixes the load problem, the TOC is not autosynchronising immediately. It does start to sync after the user has clicked some topics but that is not really satisfactory.I have found an alternative method.

Remove the redirect.

Paste the following above the </head> tag, amending the path to the same as you had in the redirect.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
<!--Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Gu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that although changing the refresh rate fixes the load problem, the TOC is not autosynchronising immediately. It does start to sync after the user has clicked some topics but that is not really satisfactory.I have found an alternative method.

Remove the redirect.

Paste the following above the </head> tag, amending the path to the same as you had in the redirect.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
<!--Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to Professional Web Site Design and Development //-->
var time = null
function move() {
window.location = './mergedProjects/child_1/child_1_topic.htm'
}
//]]></script>

Amend the body tag as below. Change the timeout if required, it is set in milliseconds.

<body onload="timer=setTimeout('move()',100)">

This gives the same redirect but the TOC will sync OK. It works OK in IE as well.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thank you!!! Took me a while to find time to try this out, but it works like a charm. In all seriousness, I don't know what I'd do without you-- between your site and your comments here, you make my job so much easier!

Best,

Melinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the kind words.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp