• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot use a CSS file to display angle brackets in Responsive HTML output

Participant ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use a CSS file to add character styles in some of our content. This works OK using WebHelp output, but when we output to Responsive HTML5, angle brackets are not displayed. Here is the code in the CSS file:

span.KeyName {

font-weight: normal;

font-variant: small-caps;

}

span.KeyName:before {

content: "<";

}

span.KeyName:after {

content: ">";

}

This part of the CSS file should just set the relevant content to small caps, and wrap angle brackets around it. When you look at this style in the Styles dialog, it does not display the angle brackets in the preview window, so perhaps this is a clue to what is causing the problem. We are using RoboHelp version 11, but get the same problem with version 2015. Any advice would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

I'm no CSS guru, but I know that the output files are different than the source. My gut tells me that the generation process is causing munging of the CSS in the output. I tested by copying your code and pasting into one of my CSS and applying the style. As you said, WebHelp was fine and the brackets were there but in Responsive they were absent. But when I copied the CSS from the source to the output, the Responsive did actually present the brackets.

When I compared the differences, what seems t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this should read "Responsive HTML5"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no CSS guru, but I know that the output files are different than the source. My gut tells me that the generation process is causing munging of the CSS in the output. I tested by copying your code and pasting into one of my CSS and applying the style. As you said, WebHelp was fine and the brackets were there but in Responsive they were absent. But when I copied the CSS from the source to the output, the Responsive did actually present the brackets.

When I compared the differences, what seems to be happening is that in the source CSS there are quotations surrounding the desired characters and in the output the quotations are stripped away. So the workaround seems to be to either simply edit the output CSS after you generate or to just copy the source CSS file over and replace the output with it.

tmp1.png:

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for this. Your workaround works perfectly. Does anyone know whythe quotation marks are being stripped away for the HTML5 output, and is there a way to prevent this in RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My own guess is that it's just a small bug that needs addressing in an update or future release.

I'd encourage you to submit a bug report on it using the link below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll do that. Appreciate your help, Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp