• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Condition Expression does not work as expected.

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello experts,

I upgraded from RH2017 to 2022 recently. I have encontered the condition expression issue.

To make it simple, I created the sample project shown below.

Capture1.PNG

We have three products which shares one Help project file.

Topic for Products A and B is a topic for both product A and B and some description is dedicated for each product.

I would like to output the CHM for product A. Then I create the following condition expression named as "ForProductA".

Capture2.PNG

However, the output shows the topic for both A and B

Capture3.png

If you choose conditional tags for Product_A, the output is what I expected.

Capture4.png

I tried  several expression cases by changing "Or", "AND", "Exclude" and "Include" setting. However, I could not output the CHM for product A.  This condition expression works in RH2017 although the user interface is different. So It should works with somway.

Can someone help me for solving this issue?

Best regards,

Yoichiro Hayashi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am understanding you correctly your topics may have content that is only for Product A or only for Product B, you are generating different outputs for each. Is that correct? You also have a tag for Product C but have not said where that comes in.

Note that in the new UI versions must all be included in the TOC, that is the oppposite of how Classic worked where everything was included unless you used an expression to exclude it.

Expressions that only use Exclude always work best in both Classic and the new UI. See Expressions (grainge.org) for a general explanation.

In your case it looks like you need expressions that just exclude the tags for that build.

Post back if your requirement is not as I have read it.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for your help.

>If I am understanding you correctly your topics may have content that is only for Product A or only for Product B, you are generating different outputs for each. Is that correct?

Yes, Corrext. The Products A, B and C are very similar products. And most of contents are the same but some are not.

I would like to generate CHM for each products.  The output for product A should not include the product B and C.

There is a topic which is for both A and B. 

rh2.png

>You also have a tag for Product C but have not said where that comes in.

Although I did not mentioned about the product C, I also want to generate the output for product C which excludes the the tag for products A and B. 

I checked your example. In your example, the tag is applied only at the topic level. As you see above, my case has the tags on contents in topic. It works in Robohelp 2017.

I put a simple example on the server where anyone can download. 

TestForTag.zip
Password: cwuveBNh5wqa

Best regards,
Yoichiro Hayashi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether or not the tag is at topic or content level does not matter.

If you want to generate only for Product A, your expression is to Exclude Product B and Exclude Product C.

The other products will be similar, you just exclude the two tags not that output.

Your TOC includes everything, your expression include what you do not want.

Does that clarify?

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are also saying that you have content which is for A and B. That would require another tag that identifies such content separately from where it is one only.

I am not at a RoboHelp machine to look at your demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did a whole bunch of testing to figure out the logic of the expression, which is different from Classic. However, it only considered conditions applied within a topic. I'll need to revist with conditions applied at the topic level I think. (When I have access to a working copy) 🙂 But you can have a look at what I discovered about how conditions are assessed for content level tags. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/problem-with-writing-a-proper-condition-expressi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp