• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating / editing styles vs. inline editing (RH 2019, new UI)

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone. Two-part question for you:

1. For RH 2019 (new UI), is there a resource that can show me how to edit / create styles? I have zero knowledge of HTML. So far, instructions I've seen on this subject go right over my head. 
  2. Should I, instead, just stick to inline formatting? Or will inline formatting get me into trouble later on?

What I want to do:  

• Insert text boxes
  • Format images
  • Format text 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

How to edit a style in 2019 New UI.

1. In a topic, put the cursor in an example of that style.
  2. Go to the Styles tab in Properties.
  3. If it is other than a paragraph style, change the list selection at the top to All.
  4. Hover the mouse over the style to see a pencil appear.
  5. Click the pencil to open the editing dialog.

I think you will find it straightforward from there but come back with detail questions.

I strongly recommend creating a simple project that you use solely for testing things like

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How inline formatting will bite you is that if you set a style so that you get say Verdana 18pt red and then you are told the company want it in blue, you just have to make one change. Everywhere you have used that style will change. If you apply Verdana 18pt red inline to 500 topics, you have to go to each one.

Generally most of us tackle each problem as we find it by reference to sites such as w3schools, other resources and asking here. We all start with zero knowledge.

RoboHelp's online help covers what you have asked and without going into the HTML. For example you can find out how to edit styles. There is also information in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project. That shows you where to edit styles.

I think Amber (yes that is her actual name rather than her forum name) covered images. I can post something tomorrow about styles, it's late here right now.

Text boxes are more a Word thing. I'm guessing a single cell table would do what you want.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to edit a style in 2019 New UI.

1. In a topic, put the cursor in an example of that style.
  2. Go to the Styles tab in Properties.
  3. If it is other than a paragraph style, change the list selection at the top to All.
  4. Hover the mouse over the style to see a pencil appear.
  5. Click the pencil to open the editing dialog.

I think you will find it straightforward from there but come back with detail questions.

I strongly recommend creating a simple project that you use solely for testing things like this. Much safer and will not wreck your live project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, Peter. Thanks much for all the instruction. And I love your suggestion of creating a sample project for testing stuff like this. Will do! 

Three related questions for you:

• What I see online is the RH "User Guide." Is that what you're referring to as the "online help"?
  • With a single-cell table as a workaround for a text box, how do I eliminate the border? (The default "Border" style is "none," but the output displays a border.  And when I edit the style to "dotted" and then back to "none," the solid border remains.)
  • When earlier I asked about inserting text boxes, I was referring to this (see screenshot). Is that something you can help me with or point me to a resource for?

Thank you!

SCREENSHOT:

text box.PNG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What I see online is the RH "User Guide." Is that what you're referring to as the "online help"?

Yes

• With a single-cell table as a workaround for a text box, how do I eliminate the border? (The default "Border" style is "none," but the output displays a border.  And when I edit the style to "dotted" and then back to "none," the solid border remains.)

Set the border to be solid and make it transparent in the Properties

• When earlier I asked about inserting text boxes, I was referring to this (see screenshot). Is that something you can help me with or point me to a resource for?

Sure you can use them. You can also jump off a cliff but I wouldn't recommend it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! I'll take your advice, re. cliff jumping.

Thank you, Peter! I'm learning a ton and am feeling good about my project. You and your team have been awesome. 

Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my team. This is mostly a user to user forum where people are giving their own time. Occasionally Adobe staff do wade in and help, which is always appreciated.

What I saw of your skin you were doing well. There is a lot to learn. I probably have a 20 year edge on you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really?! Well then I'm all the more grateful. 

Just sent a donation via your website. 

Thanks for the kind words re. my skin. Oceanic is the shiznit! My boss is pleased I've been able to get our org's branding so closely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp