• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when searching in webhelp help

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using RoboHelp 2015 to generate webhelp.   Don't know how long this has been a problem, but was just reported after a service pack release of our software.  When the user is in the 'full help' screen and either clicks on the 'Search' button on the left or types something into the search field at the top and clicks 'Go', the following message is displayed:

That line in whutils.js is just a comment.  Any ideas?

Phil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it continue if you say "Yes"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click 'Yes', the message goes away, but the search doesn't complete.  e.g. the left side of the screen changes to the search screen, but when I click 'Go' again, nothing happens.

=============================================

Philip Sobolik

Contact details removed. Please do not include in forum posts for your own protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your RH2015 all patched up? Does any default browser make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Check for updates' reports that RoboHelp 2015 is up to date (12.0.2.384).  Changing the default browser from Chorme to IE or Edge (running Windows 10) still produced the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it happening on all machines? If you launch the help from the index page outside of your application, does the error happen when a search is attempted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has happened on my machine and on one of our support rep's machine.  Both machines are 64-bit, if that matters.  It used to work.  The support rep installed the previous version of our software and it worked fine.  The current one is the one with the problem.  It is the same help.

If I run the help by double-clicking on rsu.htm (the root), it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you compare the whutils.js file that is giving you errors with the version that exists in the previous version of the help (the one that worked)? Maybe the file got corrupted somehow between versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compared the 2 whutils.js files.  They are quite different, but neither looks 'corrupt'.  Don't know enough to determine what happened.  The first difference is starting on line 3.  The newer one has the following, but the older one does not:

/* sym.js

*/

if(typeof String.prototype.trim !== 'function') {

String.prototype.trim = function() {

return this.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, '');

}

}

if (!Array.prototype.indexOf) {

Array.prototype.indexOf = function (elem, startFrom) {

var startFrom = startFrom || 0;

if (startFrom > this.length) return -1;

for (var i = 0; i < this.length; i++) {

if (this == elem && startFrom <= i) {

return i;

} else if (this == elem && startFrom > i) {

return -1;

}

}

return -1;

}

}

/* whutils.js

*/

The support person copied the whutils.js from the working version to the non-working one.  He got further - he got seach results.  However, when he clicked on one of the results to display the message, he got the same message about another file - whtopic.js.  I compared these files and they were also quite different.  For example, the line:

var gEnableOperatorSearch=true;

Occurs in the newer file (on line 6) but not in the older file.  The variable g_RunesHelSuffixes has an additional member - "ex,1" in the newer file.

I tested 2019 a while ago and installed it on the same computer.  Would that matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you are up to date but there were four updates for 2015 and you

only have two applied.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  How do I get the other updates?  'Check for updates' doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Grainge said I had 2 of the 4 updates.  Should I install both 12.0.3 and 12.0.4.1 or just the most recent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 would have done but you now say you installed 2019. I would uninstall

2015 and then reinstall it. Then apply just update 4.

I'm assuming 2019 has been uninstalled.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ends up that 2019 wasn't uninstalled.  I uninstalled 2019 and 2015 and rebooted.  I then installed 2015 and the last update.  I rebooted and generated the help.  The resulting whutils.js (in !SSL!) is the same as the one that didn't work.  I replaced the help for the program that is installed on my computer with the above generated help.  Same error as before about whutils.js.  Is this file removed when RH is uninstalled?  If not, I should uninstall again, delete this file (or folder where it is) and re-install again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the "factory" or "seed" location for those files is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp [VERSION]\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close.  I installed to drive E:.  It is in E:\Program Files\Adobe RoboHelp\Adobe RoboHelp 2015\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that drive on your local machine's hard drive or a network location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - word from the wise - never install trial versions on your production machines & only use copies of your content to play with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Local

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be way back but I believe I have seen issues with installations

other than to C. I'm not saying that is the cause but it would be on my

list of suspects. See how that sample goes first.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled RoboHelp 2015 and deleted the RoboHelp folder in Program Files.  I then renamed my output folder to force a new one.  I re-installed RoboHelp 2015 and the last update.  When I rebuilt the project, I noticed that the output folder wasn't what I expected.  So, I changed it and rebuilt the help.  However, when I put in our program, it fails right away when the program requests help - same error, same file.  The whutils.js in the output (!SSL!) is not the same one that is in the working release of our software.  There are additional functions, getFilePath(url), getFileName(url), getFileExtention(url), scheme(url), isRelativeUrl(url), and isValidHelpTopicExtension(url).  IsValidInternalTopicURL(rulName) has been changed to be more restrictive.  Does that mean that the working version is an earlier version?  Should I try to debug the js code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the sample project as it is a known quantity.

Is it only failing when called from your software?

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  If I run the root page (rsu.htm), searching runs fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp