• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to indent bulleted lists 'inline' in RoboHelp 2020?

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I just upgraded from RoboHelp 2015 to RoboHelp 2020 and I'm really struggling with it.  It's so different than the Classic version.  I have many existing numbered and bulleted lists.  I was using a custom image as my "bullet" in RH 2015; but that did not come over in the upgrade.  Not only that, but my lists are not indented properly and some have two bullets on one line.  But those are other problems! 

My main question is...Does anyone know how to simply indent a bulleted list?  You used to be able to just click the Indent button on the toolbar, but that button no longer exists.  Here is the list I am trying to indent.  I want the list indented under the Special Notes heading.  I have many lists similiar to this that I need to indent.  I did see the "Alignment" option once...under the Properties panel, General tab.  However...I cannot get it to come up again and do not know how I got to it.  I have tried tutorials online and they were not helpful.

Thanks,

Lori

WiscoLori_0-1609194290992.png

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 is a complete rewrite plus it uses strict HTML5 and CSS3 so code cheats can no longer be deployed.

Take a look at the supplied About RoboHelp sample project. The new UI is explained there along with how to use all the features. You should see it on the Starter Screen but if not then click Open Project on the Starter Screen to open File Explorer. Browse to Documents and then My RoboHelp Projects.

Take a look at the topic on lists and come back here if you are still stuck. You will find the project also covers many of the other changes you will find.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thank you for your advice.  I will take a look at it. I did review all of your documentation on the RoboHelp 2019/2020 and it was very helpful overall.  Just wanted to thank you for providing that for us!  For these very specific type things it's really difficult to know how to solve them.  I am afraid I might need to create new styles to apply to all of my lists.  Fixing what RoboHelp has done to my Help code might not even be worth the time.  I'm actually considering going back to Classic RoboHelp.

Thanks,

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't recommend going back. There will be no further development of the Classic version and after the learning curve you will find the new UI more intuitive, even if you don't believe me right now.

Import your CSS and a couple of the topics with list into a new project and send it to me. I'll see if there is a simple fix. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thank you so much for the offer.  For now I plan to upgrade to a newer version of Classic and wait on using the brand new version.  Of course plans change so we shall see.  You might still be hearing from me.  🙂  Happy New Year!

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can recommend using the tag breadcrumbs that appear at the top of the topic to help you get to the right settings. With the move to current HTML5 and CSS standards, you only see the options that are relevent to the html tag you cursor is within. If you have imported content from Word, it's very likely you'll have invisible spans everywhere, so you can't directly access your list options.

Check the element type in the Properties > General panel (1) to see the immediate tag your cursor is within. 

Click on the correct element in the tag breadcrumbs (2) to select it, and access the relevant options in the Properties panel. In your example with lists, you would probably select the ul as you seem to have a lot of list items that need to be indented.

Amebr_0-1609805079656.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amebr!  I noticed yesterday exactly what you are saying...that when I click on a list, the options I need do not appear in Properties.  Instead it says span or text, etc.  We do have lots of text that was copied in from Word.  Thanks so much for this tip I will try it today.  

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Говно

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, wanted to follow-up on this.  I resolved this issue by doing what Amebr suggested - using the breadcrumbs at the top of the editor window.  I selected the ul or ol list that I needed to adjust.  The Alignment option then became available in the Properties/General panel.  I could then click the arrow to indent the list.  I also had many lists with a double bullet at the top. To resolve that, I used the Bullet icon on the toolbar to Clear the extra bullet.  Then readjusted the rest of the list.  I had other bullet issues related to an image I was using as a bullet.  I ended up ditching the image and using the RH provided bullets instead.  This required doing a Find and Replace throughout the code to remove the URL to the image and replace it with a simple Disc bullet.

Bottom line, I had issues with bullets when converting from RH 2015 to RH 2020.  There was no quick fix.  I had to go through every topic and fix / adjust each bulleted list separately.  They all had their quirks and special problems.  

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp