• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line breaks automatically being deleted in RH2022.4 output

Explorer ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RH 2022. After the most recent upgrade to version 2022.4.179, my responsive HTML output automatically removes all line breaks from the content. So, all the white space I used in the content to increase readability disappears, and everything is just scrunched up. Adobe responded by saying it's a bug in 2022.4 and suggesting I use the   element as a workaround. However, it only temporarily changes the output and automatically gets deleted whenever I close and reopen the topic. Does anyone have any suggestions until Adobe resolves this issue? Also, this happens to all output formats - PDF, Word, Frameless, etc.

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Adobe have provided a fix for this problem.  You need to apply a simple change to your CSS file(s).

p:empty {
/*Enter desired values.*/
padding-top: 0.0pt;
padding-bottom: 16pt;
}

The values can be expressed in your preferred unit of measure. Here I have used points to help explain. In the CSS I tested with the normal <p> style font is 10 points with padding below of 6 points. Thus padding in the CSS of 16 points gives the same depth as a blank line.

Please post here if you find problems with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Just an additional note:

for disappearing empty rows in a table, the fix is similar: just add to the CSS file for instance:

td:empty {
/*Enter desired values*/
padding-top: 12.5px;
padding-bottom: 12.5px;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can repeat it so it definitely looks like a bug. I have raised this with a contact and will post back when I know more. 

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I have the same experience with the automatic removal of the line breaks. Luckely I always make a backup of the projects before upgrading to a next version, because the same day I installed the update 2022.4, I deinstalled it and went back to the previous version. Hopefully there will be a fix soon so that we don't have to wait for 2022.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's a great suggestion. I'll do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first step is that Adobe have been able to reproduce the problem. I hope to know more tomorrow.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have provided a fix for this problem.  You need to apply a simple change to your CSS file(s).

p:empty {
/*Enter desired values.*/
padding-top: 0.0pt;
padding-bottom: 16pt;
}

The values can be expressed in your preferred unit of measure. Here I have used points to help explain. In the CSS I tested with the normal <p> style font is 10 points with padding below of 6 points. Thus padding in the CSS of 16 points gives the same depth as a blank line.

Please post here if you find problems with any output using this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick fix! (I will post a confirmation after I have really tested it on my projects.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the project I've tested, it works fine! So, many thanks Peter for this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it would help for the issue of "sprite".

Before the fix (of adding the padding in de CSS): for all the topics I left untouched, the result was fine (as in 2022.3, with the empty lines). But in 2022.4, as soon I did some edit on a  particular page, than all the empty lines were missing (on that page). All the other pages were still fine. Now with the padding fix, the "touched" pages are fine. I did try a new topic, but in my case that is also going fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dvrvb Are you saying if you edit a page after the CSS change, the empty lines go missing still? I can't break anything once that CSS fix has been applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

No, after the fix of the CSS all is going fine in my case. // The only thing I would bring under attention was that before the fix, all the untouched topics were going fine, except the topcis were I did an edit. So my surprise was (before the fix) that not all the pages were missing the empty lines, only the pages were an edit was done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The elves at play!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds that is something kept in cache. I will do a test (without the fix) where I remove the cache in the folder .rh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it isn't the cache. I deleted the complete content of .rh and it made no difference.

Without the fix: all the untouched pages still were OK, but as soon as I edited a page, then the empty lines disappeared, but only in that particular page that was edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, Peter. I've tested it in one project so far, and it works well. I'll post again when I test it thoroughly and publish the output to see the change. It's definitely easier and faster than inserting &nbsp in the source code throughout the page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After changing the CSS, I copied text from a preexisting topic that I documented before the update into a new topic within the same project, and it did not retain the spacing.  However, when I typed content from scratch, the change in the CSS applied as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a head-scratcher - did you check that you didn't also bring over some other CSS with the content you copied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure is! I use the same CSS stylesheet across all of my projects, though. I've attached an example of the output. 

rhSampleTxt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but take a look at the HTML of the "working" one and the "not working" one - is there a different CSS referenced in there or present in the HTML itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, only one CSS is referenced. This is fine, as I rarely copy and paste content, but it is just something I noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to emulate the issue in a new topic and couldn't break it.

When I created the new topic it did not apply the CSS that I had fixed. That was because I had not changed the default CSS in File > Project Settings. As a result the problem was still there. When I deleted the old CSS and applied the fixed one, all was correct.

If you go to Assets > CSS is there more than one CSS?

If you go to Reports > Topic List and select the Stylesheets option, does that give any clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dvrvb Are we talking about preview, generated output or published output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my incompleteness: I'm talking about the (locally) generated output, and viewed in FireFox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who is still having issues will need to go to Support. I simply cannot break it in anything I have tried. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp