• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked files missing from Responsive Output

New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some topics listed in the "Unreferenced files" report even though they are referenced, it's just that the links are perhaps unorthodox. I wanted the entire <li> element to be clickable, so I used an onclick event to link to the topic in question:

<li class="clickableListItem" onclick="location.href=&#39;Wiring_Diagram_2_Pole_Line_Voltage_-_XCVR2.htm&#39;">
        <p>Wiring Diagram 2 Pole Line Voltage</p>
      </li>

Which works great but...now when I compile, and topics that aren't in the TOC or linked from another topic using a standard <a> tag (I'm assuming), get left out of the Responsive output.

Any thoughts on how to handle this? Is there a way to include Unreferenced Topics in the output? Is there a way to let it know that an "onclick" event is just as good as the classic <a> tag? I could make the link an <a> tag and keep the onclick event:

<li class="clickableListItem" onclick="location.href=&#39;Low_Voltage_Diagram_-_XCVR2.htm&#39;">
        <p><a href="Low_Voltage_Diagram_-_XCVR2.htm">Low Voltage Diagram</a></p>
      </li>

Of course, I would have to re-visit all of my links and convert them to that format. 

I'm thinking I might have to do that anyway so that my Broken Links and Topic References reports work.

I would appreciate any input about the best way to move forward.

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

The only way I can think of is to update all the links as in your second example. If RH doesn't detect links in onclick events there's no user solution for it. Adobe might be able to make a change for a future version if you request a new feature here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

(Post the item number in the discussion so people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.)

However, one reason I can think of for not doing it they way you are currently is accessibility. I'm not an expert,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can think of is to update all the links as in your second example. If RH doesn't detect links in onclick events there's no user solution for it. Adobe might be able to make a change for a future version if you request a new feature here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

(Post the item number in the discussion so people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.)

However, one reason I can think of for not doing it they way you are currently is accessibility. I'm not an expert, but I think if someone is using a screenreader or other assistive technology, or has javascript disabled, your links won't exists so your help won't be usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I updated the links on one topic and generated the output and the missing files are now included. I think I will continue to add <a> tags as in my example above and request a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submitted feature request, FWIW.

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-10767

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I just remembered one thing you can try in New UI (although I still recommend updating all links as per your second example). 

Add all the topics to the TOC but tick the Hide in output checkbox in the properties for the ones you don't want to display in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr,

Thank you again for sharing tis idea. I was unaware of the "Hide in Output" feature, but I found it this morning and played around with it. I was surprised that it didn't give a visual indication in the explorer that it was hidden, such as being greyed-out, and it isn't possible to apply it to or remove it from multiple items at one time, at least not by selecting multiple items and right-clicking. I did find a TOC report that shows which items are hidden.

This seems like a handy feature and will probably be used before this project is complete.

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I miss what version of RH you're using? If it's RH2020, then everything has to be in the TOC for it to get into the output (that's a new change) - just like Amebr said, you use the Hide command to screen out what you don't want to see in the TOC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Thank you for responding. I am using version 2020.7.46

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can tick and untick the Hide in output setting for multiple items at once. Just change the setting in the Content Properties panel.

If you select multiple TOC entries, some of which have it selected and some that don't, the setting with show a dash through the checkbox and the checkbox background will be dark grey. Clicking it will tick the checkbox as normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp