Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masterpage without CSS link removes all CSS links in the output

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

unless I am mistaken, when you apply a master page that has no CSS links, the topics should keep their CSS links as they are assigned in RoboHelp. I am quite sure this worked in the past.

Now when I do this, the CSS-references in the topics (e.g. default.css) are removed and the topics are displayed with the browser default settings. Am I missing something, perhaps a setting in the new UI?

This is Robohelp 2020, Frameless output (Studio), master page applied in the preset.

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right on the first point but are you sure that master page does not have a CSS applied?

I doubt the CSS reference in the output topics is removed. Have you checked by viewing the code of the output topics. What is more likely is the CSS is not where the topic thinks it is or the CSS has not made it to the output folders.

If you generate without selecting the master page, do the topics look as you expect?

Are you viewing the generated output or the published output.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I checked with notepad that the CSS links are removed.

No, the master page has no CSS applied.

When i generate without the master page, all is well.

What is the difference between generated output and published output? I open the files in the output folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate, ideally the target folder should be on the same drive as the project. That avoids any glitches that might occur generating to a network drive.

You then have to get that output to where you want it. That might be passing a zipped version to send to your developers, using an FTP tool to upload it to a server or you can use RoboHelp's own publishing feature.

It's not relevant here if you are only generating but it might have been that the publishing process had not uploaded everything.

Let's establish beyond doubt that the problem is your project. Try generating the About RoboHelp sample project. Click Open Project on the Starter Screen to open File Explorer. Browse to Documents and then My RoboHelp Projects. Open About RoboHelp and generate that. Does that generate OK?

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My folder Dokumente\My RoboHelp Projects is empty. I found that sample project in the RH folder under resources\data\template\projects but it produces an error and does not open.

May I ask, when you generate with a master page that has no CSS attached, does it remove the CSS links or not? Is this a normal feature of RH or an individual problem of mine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you tried to run the sample project from within Program Files. you can't do that for security reasons. Copy it from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp\2020\resources\data\template\projects\About RoboHelp to somewhere else. Then try it.

I am not seeing the problem doing as you suggested. Please respond to my question about whether the topic CSS is being stripped out as you suggest or just not working. Open the output and right click in a topic, then select View Source. You should see something like  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../assets/css/default_pg.css"/>. 

If that is there, your CSS is not being stripped out. For some reason though it is being applied. Check the CSS is where it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, the test project generates fine. I generated frameless output. There is no master page attached, so I am not sure that this proves anything.

As I wrote, I checked with notepad that the CSS links are removed. It is not the paths being wrong, the link is completely gone.

This is not a huge problem though, so if I cannot resolve it we can live with it. I just wanted to make sure that I did not miss a setting in the UI or something like that. Thanks for your patience ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might if you attach a master page. I'm just wanting to establish this is unique to your project.

I have never seen anyone report what you are experiencing in over twenty years. 

I'm happy to take a look if you can share the project. If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out what the problem was. The master page had a reference to a favicon (the icon displayed in the browser tab). This works perfectly because Robohelp adjusts the path for each page, and thus each page displays the Favicon. BUT this reference makes Robohelp remove the CSS links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The favicon should be applied in the preset and certainly not have that effect. If you can replicate that in another project, it should be reported as a bug.

Please follow this link to report bugs or request new features. https://tracker.adobe.com. Post the link to your bug report / feature request in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your great help, only after I could eliminate the other possibilities I realized whet the problem was.

We wanted to use different favicons in different sections of the output, but this is then not posible. I will test and report if the problem is consistent. I assume that as soon as there is a reference in the header of the master page, all links in the headers of the topics are removed, regardless of the type of linked file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp