Exit

One Project - Four TOCs - Four Outputs with some shared topics

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have four TOCs: A, B, C, and D.

For example, A contains 10 topics, B contain 7 topics, C contains 3 topics, and D contains 3 topics. Some topics are shared between TOCs.

Now, when I am generating a chm for TOC A, the TOC appears fine. From the Search tab in the chm, if I do a search with some common words like and, the, and so forth, the search result displays also topics that are part of the other TOCs (may be B, C, or D). Is there a way to stop these topics of other TOCs to appear in the serach result?

I need this because all the TOCs are for different customers and some topics should be hidden from each other.

Please let me know if it requires more clarification.

Thanks in advance,

Jignesh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Ideally, you would define Conditional Build Tags (CBT) for each of the builds and use a build expression to ensure the undesired topics are excluded. But there does exist a feature in recent versions of RoboHelp that allows you to produce output related to only the TOC being used.

When you are looking at the settings for the output (The recipe card, if you will) there is a feature there.

bc2.png

What version of RoboHelp are you using? (Sorry, but my crystal ball is broken and I have no way of determining if your version of RoboHelp may support this feature.)

Additionally, note that if the undesired topics are referenced in any way (perhaps a link from a different topic, or an index term) then this won't work. That's why I said a CBT with a Build Expression is a better approach.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Sorry after a long time.

I used the CBT and Exclude Unreferenced..... option also but still it generates lot many topics. Not sure Why?

For Example, I have 5 topics in my TOC like this:

But, when I search through the Help, it displays the topics form other TOC s also.

Something like this:

This is just an example. If we search through other words, there are many other topics.

I am not sure how to avoid this. This increases the file size also. Just for these 5 topics, it is around 12 MB. This must be because there are other topics also.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked back in April and I'll ask again.

What version of RoboHelp are you using?

Are you able to share your project with me so I might look at it first hand?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 2017 Version.

By sharing the project, do you mean sharing the screen and look at it together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that would be one way we could do it. But I was thinking more along the lines of you zipping and uploading the project to a site such as WeTransfer.com and I could download it and examine it here on my end.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a huge project.

Can we do a screenshare when you have sometime? I can even tell you and show you what is exactly my issue too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I verified your use case. If you apply a CBT named say "exclude" on all the topics you don't want to include and apply this CBT while publishing like:

After this, topics excluded will not come in chm output.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Surbhi.

But, that's my question actually.

I am having four TOCs in my project. Some topics are shared among those TOCs. I applied CBTs accordingly.

I will give a detail example.

TOC A contains topics A, B, C, and D.

TOC B contains topics E, F, G, and A (shared topic).

Now, when I publish TOC A, I only need A, B, C, and D topics only. But, what it does is it publish E, F, and G also. Even though, while publishing, I applied the CBT for TOC A only.

I hope it is clear. It is little difficult to explain in words .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What CBTs you have applied and what is the build Expressions you created for your output?

Please elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, Have you tried applying CBT to topics in project manager rather than TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have many TOCs in my project:

In my Export to Q-DAS TOC, I have only 5 topics.

When I am generating this output, I am using this build expression:

So, TOC looks okay. Now, when I use the Search box, it displays all these topics also.

Also, to answer your other question about using the Project Manager, I think I am using that:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp