• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question mark icon instead of space in chm after RH Upgrade 2022 version

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to RH 2022.4.179, we have some spaces, apostrophes, and other random areas that are showing as the triangle with the question mark. We checked and the Window OS is set to English and the Preset Output is set to English. These are old .chm files that we continually update. We also looked at the HTML and there is nothing in there to indicate a problem. Examples attached.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

@Kdale2 It's not what is in the topic layout, it is simply a link to one that is breaking things. I tested in a new project.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

I'm pretty sure it will be an issue with all of them but you can select mutiple files in the Contents panel, right click and remove the layout in Properties there. It still won't be a quick job but it will be quicker. Obviously you only need to do that in projects you have to generate before we hear more.

You could also use any tool to find the topic layout line in the header section of the topics.

Adding the footer content to a snippet seems to work OK. 

The snippet code would be somethin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on what we are doing. We are setting all the topics that had a Topic Layout to Default and the Preset to None and relying on a general help topic for Copyright and TMs that we have. We'll add the Topic Layout back to the Preset after Adobe fixes it, which I hope is soon. 🙂 Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately those workarounds won't work for us. We use the headers in the templates as well, and have conditional code there to show/hide product logos as needed. It's not feasible to manually change hundreds of topics, only to change tthem back after a fix arrives. We're really hoping for a quick fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope to learn more tomorrow and will update this thread then. Depending on what I learn, let's see if we can come up with some solution if it is not as quick a fix as you need.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is being worked on but right now 13 June the cause has not been identified. Adobe will keep me updated but it might not be until the end of next week. Then it all depends on whether it is a file that can be reissued or if a full update is required.

The only temporary fix I can suggest is as stated.

1.  Rename the topic layout so that topics do not apply it.
  2. Set the preset to None.

My tests indicate that makes all characters work.

@Brad30090183d0hz First of all what is your timescale for needing the fix?

If that is not inline with what Adobe can do, Snippets can have variables so a "variable set" should allow you to use different images. Adobe will be advising me how to do that shortly. I hate put it this bluntly but it might be the only option. It's not the outcome anyone wants but it's down to how soon they find the issue and the solution it requires.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following up on this Peter, and for keeping us informed.

Our target date is June 30th, so hopefully that is enough time for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brad30090183d0hz I wouldn't hold your breath for a patch by that date, but you may get a workaround that works better for your situation by then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it really depends on whether it is a file fix or a full update.

I would certainly be looking into Plan B in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge would it be faster/worthwhile to revert back to Patch 3 in @Brad30090183d0hz 's case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always that could break changes made by the upgrade to Update 4.

If tried I would keep an Update 4 copy.

Upgrading changes files and structure, opening in an earlier version does not reverse them. The later files and structure may not play nicely in an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking about this some more, I would be hoping for the good outcome but planning for the worst case whereby the fix is not available by the date required. Let me emphasise that Adobe are fully aware of the urgency for everyone. As I explained earlier, they cannot give a date until they know the cause of the problem.

My steps would be:-

1. Uninstall RoboHelp on one machine and reinstall the Update 3 version. If you don't still have the Update 3 installer Support should be able to provide it or post here and I will speak to Adobe about how to get that version.
  2. Create a copy of the project and run that on the Update 3 machine to see how it goes.
  • If it goes OK, continue working on Update 4 machines and repeat the above when you have to generate. Only use Update 3 for generation.
  • If it does not go well, then look at using Snippets instead. I hear what people say but it's the only solution I am seeing pending the required fix.

I emphasis that is how I would approach it based on my knowledge of what I work on. It's for anyone reading this to decide if they think it is the right strategy for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get a link to the installer for the previous version, I can try this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked but I suggest you also ask Support as it may have to come from them.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I was able to try my project in an earlier version of RoboHelp and I'm happy to report that it worked. It generates the chm files without the "?" issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleased to hear that. I still recommend work is done in Update 4 and Update 3 is kept on one machine for generating. The structure of some RoboHelp files has changed and trying to work on them might cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. The cause is some incorrect encoding but any fix is delayed by the need to check whether there is any impact elsewhere. If you want to revert to Update 3, it can be downloaded from https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/robohelp-downloads.html

There will be a further update by the end of next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is still being looked at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to mention that if you do downgrade versions, and your project uses variables, the variables and variable sets will be wiped out and you will need to rebuild them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brad30090183d0hz Thank you for posting that. I was concerned that might happen, it's useful you have confirmed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like an update was released. I went through the process but my version number remained at 2022.4.179, and the problems are still there. Any idea if there are problems with installing the update? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update 5 has not been released yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp