• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML5 More Searchable (RoboHelp 2017)

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project has about 50 books that hosts topics on software, applications, etc. Some books have sub categories in the title. For example: Microsoft Outlook 2016 | Email | Email Basics.

How can I make the Responsive HTML5 easier to search? The TOC and Index is frustrating for some of the users. Appreciate any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

At the start you asked - How can I make the Responsive HTML5 easier to search? The TOC and Index is frustrating for some of the users. Later you added -The biggest issue we have is that when someone types a keyword, the book title appears, but does not display the main content.

Keywords relate to the Index but your image is for the search. Also the index does not give any preview.

I am concluding your issue is with the search and what shows there is nothing to do with the TOC books, it is, by defa

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say without knowing more. What exactly are the frustrations or the pain points? How is it presently failing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! The biggest issue we have is that when someone types a keyword, the book title appears, but does not display the main content. See attached image for an example. Is there a way I can force the search result to display the sub heading, like Email Templates?

RoboHelp Email Question.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could likely make that happen by editing the Index. With Index keywords you are able to plug in what you want. For example, perhaps the topic title as you show is "Microsoft Outlook 2016" but you want an Index keyword to point the user to a bookmark farther down in the topic where it deals with Email Templates. So you could edit the Index so you have an index keyword of "Email Templates" or maybe "Email Templates - Outlook 2016". Then link that to the bookmark.

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will try that. So if someone types in the search box, would the index bookmark appear in the results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question. One I wasn't sure about so I tested.

I added an Index keyword of "waffle". This text does not appear anywhere else. When searching, "Waffle" was returned. So that tells me that the Index keywords are now also part of the search.

Now I also created a bookmark and named it "cookie". But searching did not return any matches when I entered that term.

There are other ways you can work as well. For example, adding Search Synonyms via the Output tab > Synonyms.

Snag_2895f306.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the start you asked - How can I make the Responsive HTML5 easier to search? The TOC and Index is frustrating for some of the users. Later you added -The biggest issue we have is that when someone types a keyword, the book title appears, but does not display the main content.

Keywords relate to the Index but your image is for the search. Also the index does not give any preview.

I am concluding your issue is with the search and what shows there is nothing to do with the TOC books, it is, by default, the initial text of the topic. In the configuration of the output you can change that so the whatever you enter in the Topic Comments appears.

Rick has told you how to change the index and I have explained how search works. Hopefully between the two, there is a solution.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I found what I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having issues adding index items that link to bookmarks created for subsections in a topic. Have you found a good workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp