When I test any projects using RoboHelp 2017, the Navigation icons display, but the Table of Contents itself doesn't. I can click the Index icon and that list of terms displays, but I get nothing when I click on the Table of Contents icon. Anything that I might be doing wrong? It always used to work.
I see you stated Responsive HTML 5, but which of the layouts are you using?
Do you have more than one TOC in your project? If so, have you ensured you are pointing at the correct TOC?
I've tried using just about all of the different layouts, and no, there's only one TOC. And it's happening in all of the projects I work on, so I'm thinking it must be a pretty basic mistake that I'm making.
Perhaps share some screen captures of the output settings?
I don't suppose one of these outputs is available for anyone to view so you could shoot us a URL to look at?
Really can't share the content, since there's an NDA involved.
Oh, and have you tested on different browsers? I'm wondering if it may be related to a specific browser.
At first, I was getting the usual 'allow blocked content' warning message in IE, and then it worked, and I think there might be a security thing involved with Chrome not working. However, Firefox worked until yesterday and now it doesn't work at all either.
Hi Peter, I just tried one of the sample projects, and it worked.
OK so that rules out it being a browser issue or a bug in RoboHelp and, sorry to say, pins it on your project.
I would start by comparing the output settings.
Next I would export a layout from the sample you tested and import it into your project, even though it may appear to be the same layout.
Whilst I doubt it will make any difference, also try deleting the CPD in your project and then reopening RoboHelp.
Tell us where that all gets you.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information
Thanks Peter! I will try doing what you suggest, and let me know where that gets me. I've got some other things going on right now, so my response is probably going to be somewhat delayed. Thanks again for your help.
Hi Peter, I just wanted to let you know that what I wound up doing was deleting the Theme_1 Screen Layout that I had been using and then just chose Azure_Blue from the Gallery and it worked. I don't know if there's a way that I could have continued using Theme_1 but as long as it's now working, I won't be worrying about that. Thanks for your help!