Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reuse images in multiple RH 2020 projects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have several RH projects that reuse images such as Icons. Is there a way to save the images at a single location and use them in all the projects instead of saving them in each project? The end goal is to merge all the projects into a parent project to generate responsive output.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

You put them all in a folder and then link the projects to that folder. You would change images in that folder and then the image arrow will turn red to tell you it has gone out of sync in the project. You can then update it but you might have reasons not to immediately.

It's explained here. RH2020 Resource Linking (grainge.org)

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You put them all in a folder and then link the projects to that folder. You would change images in that folder and then the image arrow will turn red to tell you it has gone out of sync in the project. You can then update it but you might have reasons not to immediately.

It's explained here. RH2020 Resource Linking (grainge.org)

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. It worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a follow-up question. There is an Icons folder in one RH 2020 project (project A) linked to other projects (projects B, C, and D). I added new images to the Icons folder in project A. I thought the red out-of-sync icon would appear in the linked icons folder in projects B, C, and D, but that didn't happen. I tried Sync Folder from Source to Project within project B without success. I don't see the new images inside the linked Icons folder in Projects B, C, and D. Is there a way to do this without adding the new images to projects B, C, and D separately? If not, should I delete the old linked Icons folder within projects B, C, and D and link it again with the updated Icons folder from Project A? Will it break anything?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you are seeing is covered by this note on Peter's site "What you see in Adobe RoboHelp is a snapshot of the files at the time the folder was added to Adobe RoboHelp. New files added to the source folder later will not be shown but any you need can be added." I would be happy for Peter to correct me though. 🙂

Assuming you do need to manually add each new file to each project, then I think a feature request for a future release would be in order.

You can request features and report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Post the item number in the discussion so people can easily vote if they want the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amebr is correct. Adobe have an internal bug report that you cannot access which is about making Linking work more like Resource Manager in Classic versions. I agree with Amber that you should make a feature request and in it quote RH-8297.

In a test project link to a folder, then add images to the source, and relink. Does that refresh without breaking the links? I have a hunch it might and that would be a workaround.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, @Amebr and @Peter Grainge. I submitted the feature request and quoted RH-8297. Received a confirmation message with Bug Id: RH-11334. 

@Peter Grainge I tried your workaround and it worked! A warning message "Folder already exists" popped up and then it copied the new images into the linked folder. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp