Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2019 - global search and replace functionality

Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just switched from RH 2017 to RH 2019. I quite frequently used the "global" serach and replace functionality that allowed me to search over all topics in my project and defining whether to search in the source code or the text. I cannot find this function in RH 2019 though. I only find the search and replace function for the one topic that is in focus.

Does anyone know if this function has not yet been implemented? Is it planned for the future? Or am I simply not finding it?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Hi Karen,

I couldn't find it neither. I exclusively use the 'Find in Files' function of Notepad++ now. I add the project directory and filter on the desired filetype, e.g. *.htm, or *.hts for snippets and so on. You can use Regular expressions as well, and that saves me a lot of time.

I made sure to remove all unrequired newlines in our html code. If however the word or phrase that you want to find spans multiple lines, then you can use regex expressions to find them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

I couldn't find it neither. I exclusively use the 'Find in Files' function of Notepad++ now. I add the project directory and filter on the desired filetype, e.g. *.htm, or *.hts for snippets and so on. You can use Regular expressions as well, and that saves me a lot of time.

I made sure to remove all unrequired newlines in our html code. If however the word or phrase that you want to find spans multiple lines, then you can use regex expressions to find them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed that does seem to be the only option for now, an external tool.

It has to be something for an update.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I read a thread a while ago, but can't find it to confirm. I *think* you have to click on a nondescript search icon in what passes for a toolbar to find in files? But it's super basic...and maybe only available when the topic has focus (or vice versa? I don't have RH in front of me at the moment)?

(hmm, and now I think about it, maybe it was a bug report, because I have a vague memory of a "semi-hidden" proper find in files dialog box, and I couldn't understand why the full dialog box wasn't available. I'll post back if I can find the reference.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew, that was hard. Found the reference. Turns out I originally couldn't find a "find in topic" option. And there's only "search for file name or title". But I did remember correctly about the "semi-hidden" advanced find dialog box.

Several issues in RH 2019 new UI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help! I will work with Notepad ++ for the time being, as suggested.

Best regards

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Karin,

RH has option to find in a file which is Ctrl+H (Find and replace) and another to search by file name or title so that user can open it in editor without knowing the navigation path.

Find all is not there yet but it is planned for future updates.

So if you are trying to find in a file then you can still use RH. For find all in all files, notepad++ seems to be the right choice at this moment.

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp