Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2022: no German umlauts shown in German chm

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear community,

I converted a German RoboHelp 2017 project to 2022. I can output Responsive HTML5 and CHM, but in the chm all umlauts and also all special characters are replaced with questionmarks in a black box. In the TOC of the chm all umlauts are visible.

The output of the Responsive HTML5 shows all umlauts properly.

The German language is set to all topics in their preferences and also in the output settings of the chm. When I switch here to Russian language, all umlauts are shown correctly in the topics, but not in the TOC.

Argh!

Any ideas?

Best regards from Munich,

Thomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps make sure the hhactive.dll file is registered correctly. I don't think RH really installs HTML Help Workshop and related files properly most times.

MJ's Diagnostics is the easiest way to check, but because it's so old it's getting hard to find a copy any more. See the CHM > Chm search not working for several links to try to download it. https://www.grainge.org/RoboHelp_Gems/RoboHelp_Gems.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect Update 4 is likely the problem. See this thread.

If your topics or the preset have a link to a Topic Layout, there is a break in Update 4. Generate without the link(s) and it should generate OK. See the thread for other solutions.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thanks for the information. With this it works. I have to disable my topic layout for all topics AND in addition to disable the same topic layout in the MS HTML help output.

When I create a new topic layout with no content and activate this one, the umlauts are gone again.

Unfortunately this is not really a solution because with disabling the topic layout I have no footer and no header in my topics 😞

I think I have to switch back to RoboHelp 2017.

Best regards,

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jano2002 The issue is not your topic layout but any topic layout. I'm sorry but you have to wait for Adobe to fix the issue.

You cannot open a 2022 project in 2017 so you will have to go back to the 2017 project you had. Any changes made since the upgrade will need to be made again.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can downgrade to RH2022 Patch 3, you should recover the functionality (and then wait until the Patch 4 fix is out).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for this tip. But the umlauts are not my only problem. Also the word output needs a lot of work after the conversion from RH2017 to RH2022, because RoboHelp don't use my old word file for the starting page and don't read my word dotx correctly.

best regards,

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Word output has changed a lot. It is described on my site but it's not without issues. I find it easier to use a dedicated CSS rather than a Word template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp