• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runtime Error in RH 2015 when Inserting Images

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue just started today. Each time I try to insert an image in an existing RoboHelp project, I get the following error:

Then, of course, the project completely crashes. To give some more information, this is an RH project that was recovered from one that became lost due to a previous laptop crashing. The project has been working fine along with publishing and inserting images until today. I use SnagIt to capture images and save them right within the RoboHelp project's folder and I set the DPI on images to 300 so they scale appropriately within the project. The RoboHelp project is saved on a folder on my company's network. The recovered project contained several images from the old project which I had to change out and I kept the same naming convention on some.

The error is not consistent but happens the majority of the time. It displays when adding images and sometimes even when just opening the project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm on a tight deadline to get a major project done. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Steven

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

With recent releases of RH Adobe has said that running projects off of network locations is ok, but everyone's network is different and issues may arise. That's why us "old-timers" stick with local copies of projects on "short" paths like c:\projects\project_name\. Of course all this changes when you have multiple authors at play - then you need to invest in source control so that topics can checked out/in when authors work on them. The .cpd file is just an Access file that keeps track of parts

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would make sure that RH2015 is completely up to date. Then I would zip up a copy of the project off the network & put it on my local c:\ drive in someplace with a short pathname. Then I would delete the .cpd file & try opening it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try in one of the sample projects.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I did as you said and the project seems to be working fine on my local c:\ drive and with the .cpd deleted. I was able to open it and insert multiple images. What exactly does that mean for the original project though? Should I just continue working off the one on my local c:\ and delete the one on my network? Or do I need to do something to the network one. And yes, my RoboHelp 2015 is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With recent releases of RH Adobe has said that running projects off of network locations is ok, but everyone's network is different and issues may arise. That's why us "old-timers" stick with local copies of projects on "short" paths like c:\projects\project_name\. Of course all this changes when you have multiple authors at play - then you need to invest in source control so that topics can checked out/in when authors work on them. The .cpd file is just an Access file that keeps track of parts of your project - it's safe to delete it because RH recreates each time if it's missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, Jeff. That answered my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you open a different project and try to insert an image, does the same thing happen there?

If it does, it would seem that the issue is with RoboHelp or possibly with the image. To rule out the image, I'd try inserting an image from the RoboHelp Gallery.

tih.png

Also, I'm very unclear as to why you feel you need images that are 300 DPI. Most images used for screen display are about 1/3 of that.

Check out this link for more on that.

I believe a 300 DPI image will be substantially larger than the normal screen image. So that may be a factor.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I began using 300 DPI for scaling purposes. I use this so that when I shrink an image down in RoboHelp, the image doesn't become skewed. When I insert a 300 DPI image, I don't leave it in its original size but rather shrink it down to a size I feel is appropriate for the publishing the webhelp. If you think 300 dpi images, even when shrunk down, is causing the issue, I can try another route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp