• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search slow in Orange frameless output; tips to optimize?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have received customer complaints that search is very slow in the latest versions of RoboHelp frameless output with a larger project (390 topics; 370,000 words). This slowness occurs in all browsers and OS's. Here are the symptoms reported by our users:

• Searches take a minimum of 20s to display
  • Some seaches do not complete
  • The browser occasionally crashes
  • Support team reports high CPU and memory usage; up to 2GB of memory is used

Are there any suggestions as to how we can optimized the search to improve performance? Best practices on how to break out content or strucutre topics to make search more instantaneous? The expectation is that search should complete in a few seconds.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread below is about search and has been flagged with Adobe so keep an eye on it.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/rh2020-browser-impact-on-search/td-p/11600322

However, your issues sound rather different. I have not seen anyone report the browser crashing. Do you mean on multiple machines or just a test machine? Which browser and have you tried others?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had found that thread, but hadn't reviewed it since it was responsive HTML5 instead of Frameless. I will keep an eye on it.

Tested browsers include Firefox (latest), Chrome (latest) and Edge Chromium version (latest). We have recevied reports of browser freeze/crash from multiple clients, since the spike to 2GB or more of memory usage has significantly impacted browsers on lower specced computers.

I did do some analysis on the Network tab of Chome Developer Tools and it seems some of the larger .js files are taking multiple minutes to respond sometimes. This seems to point the finger at long-running scripts that involve thoes files as the culprit.

I've also tested against a much smaller project where search seems to function almost instantaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

psst - Frameless is just another form of Responsive HTML5 without the skin layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you test your help locally rather than on the server, do you have the same issues?

Are your clients viewing the help on your server or theirs?

If it is yours I would be checking that what is on the server is the same as the local output.

Beyond that I think you need to liaise with Support.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your support contact options.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking some more about this that is not a large project making those times even worse.

You haven't said whether you are on 2019 or 2020. Generate either the RoboHelp Reimagined or the About RoboHelp sample project and test that on your server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp