So I created a Project last week that I wanted to be used as a Project Template. However, I noticed that after I created a few standardized components that RH went from fast to exceedingly slow. I did some research and found an article on Peter Grainge's site(http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm) that discussed a missing DLL file. We followed the steps and added the DLL in the correct place, however that did nothing to correct the speed issue.
I started a project template again, from scratch. I started adding in the Master Pages, link to the images in the Resource Manager Pod, created Conditionalized tags, setup indivdual TOCs based on departments, and eveything was working just fine. UNTIL! I started adding the FlashHelp Pro layout. After I added a 3rd FHP layout in the single source pod, RH went from fast to slow. The more I added the slower it got. We started deleting the layouts one by one until the speed came back up. The break point: 4 or more FHP layouts impact the speed of RoboHelp 8.
It takes 2-4 minutes to open RoboHelp (and this is without Topics or images in the project) and 1-3 minutes importing or creating a new topic. In the end we are publishing FlashHelp Pro to a total of 15 different departments.
I couldn't find any information in the forums addressing this issue. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?
I apologize if I implied that. These are all created from new.
Sorry for the lag time in updating this post. Been quite busy testing versus writing.
JC is experiencing the same problem I am. This has nothing to do with local versus network near as I can tell.
We are using RoboSource to store the projects because we are remote and working on the same project. There are no issues adding projects and checking them in or out.
We are publishing to RoboServer 8 because we are publishing a WebHelp Pro format.
The issue is/seems to be that when we add in the publishing box more than 3 URLs. I have no problems in RH until there is more than one Server URL in the SSL Publishing box. They are all the same server, just the areas are different. In RH7 I had 9 Pro formats with 9 URLs pointing to the same server, just different folders (i.e., Areas in RH8) and experienced no issues with the slowness that I am with RH8.
I have an open ticket to Adobe who is escalating to tier 2. I will update after I talk with them.
JC -- thanks for letting me know about RH9, I got an email the other day, just haven't had time to go check that out, I guess that will be tonight's home work 😄
Update -- this issue is still unresolved and with RH9 out I have no doubt that this issue will go unresolved for RH8.
We have found that having 25 SSLs makes publishing a nightmare. It takes more than 10 minutes to generate the WebHelp Pro OR FlashHelp Pro. Batch generation is impossible. Single publishing takes 20-30 minutes and that is after 10 minutes to generate the project.
Our workaround was to delete all the URLs, not the layouts, just the server path so that there is only 1. Since we cannot batch generate anyway, we simply go into the layout we want to publish and change the area. Irratating at worse, but at least RH has stopped freezing up, crashing and becoming non-responsive.