• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Small Red X Next to Each Topic?

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2007 Mar 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive my inexperience with this tool. I am learning as I go, with no one around to teach me. I was updating a Help built by someone else. I just updated my files and attached a new style sheet to all my topics. When I generated my Help (WebHelp), I could not view anything. I went back into RoboHelp HTML (version x5), and now every topic has a small red x to the left of it. I cannot edit any topics now (the edit feature is grayed out). Please help! I have no idea what's wrong.
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the Help for "icons". Look at the topic called "Identifying file icons". Then click the link on the Help topic that reads "Here is a list".

A red "x" indicates the following:

Missing files: All files that the program cannot locate appear with a red X at the left. These files are not in the project path and that is why they cannot be located. Either they have been removed from your disk, or they are saved in a folder other than the place where they were saved in the program.

HTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pa_writer and welcome to the RH community.

Don't worry about any perceived inexperience. We've all been there and there are people on these forums that can help when required.

Regarding your problem, this sort of thing normally occurs when RH loses contact with changes made that it does not know about. Where the files moved or renamed outside of RH (e.g. Windows Explorer)? If so, move / rename them back to their original name and you'll find the red cross disappears. Only ever change file characteristics in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how confused the RH database is, you may need to re-import the topics from wherever they are.

Don't be alarmed if RH tells you the file is already in the project, and asks if you want to overwrite it. This means RH has some distant memory of the file name -- hence, the red x -- but lost track of its location.

Say yes.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 15, 2007 Mar 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pa_writer and welcome to our community

I see others have offered a bit of advice on your issue. My advice will center a bit on another aspect.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet You are probably scratching your head and wondering how this could have happened in the first place. Furthermore, what can you do to prevent it from happening again? No?

So I have some silly questions for you.

1. Did you sneak behind RoboHelp's back at any time and move files around using Windows Explorer?

If so, this can be the cause for missing topics. You need to do any moving of project related files from inside the RoboHelp application. Otheriwse, it wanders around looking all green and bug eyed looking for its files.

2. Where are your project files being kept?

If you reply with something like: On the network, you silly git! Everyone knows we should save things on the network because our local PCs aren't backed up regularly and the network is. You should know that RoboHelp doesn't work and play well with projects stored on a network drive. So if you have placed your project on the network, close RoboHelp, move the project files to your C drive and restart RoboHelp. Then open your project.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboHelp colleagues,

I have some related questions. You advise NOT to move RoboHelp files around in Windows Explorer, but rather move them around from only within the RoboHelp project. Does this rule also apply to DELETING RoboHelp files (htm, gif, etc.)? That is, should we delete these files only from within the RoboHelp project?

Once I moved my RoboHelp HTML 8 project up to my new version of RoboHelp (2015), there are a few files, here and there, on the Topic List that have a small red x and cannot be opened. Plus, this is very strange -- the modified date is 1/2/1970. And I suspect that this RoboHelp project wasn't even built until about 2003. Any insights about this red-x and "ancient" modify date (1970)?

Thank you.

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No clue on the modified date. But generally speaking, when you see a red x next to a file, it means RoboHelp is expecting a file to be there but it's missing. And one way that can happen is certainly by deleting the file using Windows Explorer and not using RoboHelp to delete the file.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. Going forward, I'll be careful to delete RoboHelp files only from within the RoboHelp project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if the old RoboHelp 8 bug could be at play here?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think so: it's different from the RoboHelp 8 bug of Halloweens past. In this project, just a few topics have the red x, and there's no shaking hourglass. So it appears that I or someone must have deleted those few topics from Windows Explorer rather than from RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently had robohelp "vanish" files off my hard drive by itself. I was working away happily and all the files were fine, then there was a flicker and poof, a bunch of broken links showed up. I checked the locations and the files were no longer there .

And I say "vanished" because they weren't in my recycle bin or anywhere else on my hard drive that I could find. Luckily I had a zip backup.

It was very, very, very odd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's pretty weird. I've never seen that behavior before. Normally when RoboHelp deletes files they end up in the recycle bin. So it's odd you weren't able to see them there. One would also think that if RoboHelp had deleted them for whatever reason that no broken links would have been created because it normally handles that.

When that happened were there also red x's superimposed on the deleted topics?

My spidey sense is tingling and suggesting that maybe some third party software of sorts could be at play.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the first time I've seen it, however, a co-worker suffered this problem constantly - at the time I thought it might have been third party software on their computer, as I never had the issue, and our "corporate common desktop environment" doesn't seem to be very common at all ( 😜 )

I have just started working with the project they were working on, so now I think maybe it's something specific to this project.

The most disturbing issue is that it vanished topics from *other* child projects (merged setup, with relative links in topics and TOC to the child projects). I was deleting some unused condition tags and SSLs at the time, so I tried to replicate that setup in a test merge project have, but couldn't duplicate the behaviour. :S

I've also deleted errant meta tags left over from word imports (OriginalFile, path to original word doc, etc), in the vague idea that maybe they caused some weird link to happen (yes, clutching at straws).

Anyhoo, I'll keep an eye on it, but just wanted to advise that there *might* be a weird bug that automagically deletes topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

สวัสดี RoboHelp เพื่อนร่วมงาน

ฉันมีคำถามที่เกี่ยวข้อง คุณไม่แนะนำให้ย้ายไฟล์ RoboHelp ไปมาใน Windows Explorer แต่ควรจะย้ายไฟล์เหล่านั้นจากภายในโครงการ RoboHelp เท่านั้น กฎนี้ใช้กับการลบไฟล์ RoboHelp (htm, gif, ฯลฯ ) หรือไม่ นั่นคือเราควรลบไฟล์เหล่านี้ออกจากภายในโครงการ RoboHelp หรือไม่

เมื่อฉันย้ายโปรเจ็กต์ RoboHelp HTML 8 ไปเป็น RoboHelp เวอร์ชันใหม่ของฉัน (2015) มีไฟล์อยู่สองสามไฟล์ที่นี่และที่นั่นในรายการหัวข้อที่มี x สีแดงเล็ก ๆ และไม่สามารถเปิดได้ นอกจากนี้มันแปลกมาก - วันที่แก้ไขคือ 1/2/1970 และฉันสงสัยว่าโครงการ RoboHelp นี้ยังไม่ได้สร้างจนกว่าจะถึงปี 2003 ข้อมูลเชิงลึกเกี่ยวกับวันที่แก้ไขสีแดงและ "โบราณ" นี้ (1970)?

ขอขอบคุณ.

ม.ค.

Hello RoboHelp co-workers

I have a related question, you do not recommend Moving The robohelp file in Windows Explorer, but it should only be moved from Within The robohelp project. This rule applies To The deletion of robohelp files (htm, GIF, etc.), whether we should Delete These files from within the RoboHelp project.

When I move the RoboHelp HTML 8 project to my new version of RoboHelp (2015) There are a couple of files here and there in the list of topics with a small red X and can not be opened. also, it is very strange. -The modified date is 1/2/1970 , and I suspect That This RoboHelp project has not yet been created until the year 2003. Insights about this red and "ancient" Correction date (1970)?

Thank you.

Jan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nattapongnoy If I have made sense of the translated version of your post, you are asking if files can be moved using File Explorer. The answer is that if you do that, in any version other than 2019 with the new interface, the project will lose track of the files and you will see the red X.

The solution is either to put them back where they were or import the files / link to the images in their new location.

In 2019 you would only have to create the links again.

In short, always move files within your RoboHelp project.

Let me know if I have got your question wrong.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp