Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferred projects do not work as expected when generating the HTML5 layer

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working with RH11, and I transferred some projects from some obsolete Windows 7 machine onto Windows10 machines. Everything worked fine except when after I generate the online HTML5 layer, when I choose to view what I got, and I try to search for something, a weird window (see screenshot attached) is displayed instead of taking me to the places where the search sting is encountered.

Did I do anything wrong during the transfer? I simply copied the directories where the projects were from one machine to the other, and I made sure that the drive letters are identical.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Also try creating a new copy of the skin, not a duplicate. Give it a slightly different name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you've generated a Responsive HTML5 output, correct? In RH11 (that's now considered the Classic UI) your output should all be in the \{project_name}\!SSL!\{output_name}\ folder. Within that folder, you would typically launch the index.htm start page (unless you chose to call it something else in the Single Source Layouts properties' Layout definition) with your browser. Is that what you tried? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

At the end of the layer generation you know there is amessage sayin if you want to see the result, OK? I clicked on that button. I did not generate the layer in the default folder, I generated one of my own.

I tried to open the index.html file, and when I search something, the same "Index of file:///D:/..." comes. On the old machines the places where the string was found is appearing, so I do not quite know how the search is done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the path which is at the top of the screenshot I attached to the post is the one where all the resources are, so I wonder if there is something that I have to specify in the project.

I setup those projects some years ago, and did not touch them at all during that period. Back then I was sharper in regards to RH...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is D:\ a second drive on your local machine? Usually you keep the RH project files in something like C:\projects\{project_name}\ to keep the paths short.
Sounds like you need to check the properties of your HTML5 Layout and see where it's generating to.
You launch the Preview at the end of the generation process - that's not 100% what you'd experience if you were a consumer of the help. Better to launch it outside of RH to get a more accurate picture. You do have JavaScript enabled in your browser, right? Your output relies on that to build the screen & perform functions like Search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On both machines there is the same structure, i.e. on both the projects are on the D drive, and on the old machin it works perfect, however on the new machine it does not, so I was wondering if I am missing something in the general configuration of the project that might not have been transported through the "normal" copy from the old machine/paste onto the new one.

As I said before, I tried to start the index.html from Windows explorer, and I got the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I installed both java & jre, as neither one was installed on these new machines, and it does not make any difference, i.e. when I try to search something within the online help, the same index think is being displayed.

I rebooted the machine after installing both, so should I do anything else after installing the Java, or rebooting should be enough?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search doesn't use Java - it uses JavaScript - totally different thing. Some browsers turn off support for JS due to security concerns. You just need to check if it's enabled in your browser(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than copy/paste, zip up the project on the old machine and transfer the zip across.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

By zipping the project you mean using a whatever compressing software to get a zip file? Or is there a RH tool for that?

I managed to copy paste the projects from the old machine to the new w/o any issue and I can work on the projects as I did on the old machine. This is my only issue that I have with the search, and I have no clue why it is happening.

I tried to take the whole structure of folders across so that there are practically no changes, however I have this issue now.

By zipping the project you mean taking just the folder where the project is?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean use WinZip or similar to compress the whole project on the old machine, copy the zip file to tne new machine and unzip it.

I've seen the odd report of copy paste giving grief. I'm doubtful it will help but it's worth a try. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try creating a new copy of the skin, not a duplicate. Give it a slightly different name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Peter!

I will give it a shot, and will let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

By creating a new copy of the skin do you mean a copy of the layout?

I used to have more layouts for the interactive HTML5 on the old machine, however now I have only 2, the standard and the government one.

I changed the layout and now the search works, though the layout is very different than what it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but you have pinpointed where the issue is, the skin. Are you still able to generate using the Windows 7 machine? I wonder if it still works there.

Bottom line though is on the Windows 10 machine the issue is the skin so it's looking to me like you are going to have to use the new skin and customise it. Unfortunately your version is out of date for Adobe Support or I would suggest going there.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

The projects work fine on my Win7 machines, so I do not worry much about those.

The Win10 machines were those where I wanted to make it work, and it seems that, with your help, I managed to do exactly that.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp