• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated user defined variables are not updated in compiled HTML

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project that employs user defined variables as placeholders for some unknowns that I'm updating as decisions are made on the content. However, when I compile the HTML, the user variables are not updated in all places. For example, User_Variable_A is updated on 28 of 35 pages.

When I open the topic in RoboHelp and check the HTML, the changes I've applied are prevent, the variable is coorectly updated. Consequently, the changes are correctly displayed in Preview mode. HOWEVER, when I compile the project, the HTML doesn't match the project HTML. The compiled HTML includes obsolete content, as if it's reusing an old .htm file.

How can I trust that the content RoboHelp is generating actually reflects the changes I'm making? This is extremely frustrating and I sure hope there's a solution for this. I found a topic describing a similar problem eight years ago. Unfortunately there was no definitive solution and "edit the HTML manually" is not acceptable. I can do it, but it's time consuming and I shouldn't have to.

Helpful solutions and suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, the project HTML view pages will NEVER match the compiled output - RH adds a mix of template files and JavaScript secret sauce to them to create output. Next thing is - where are you generating the output to? Have you ensured that it's empty? That could be the reason behind the "old" values still being present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, let me be clear. The _text content_ that is the actual written instruction (in this case, the variable that I have defined) does not match. It is a problem. It is correctly updated in the project but not in the compiled HTML. Here is a thread to someone experiencing the same problem. User-Defined Variable not Updating at Generate Layout They found a solution through masterpages, but the project I'm working on doesn't employ master pages, so I'm at a loss as to why the variable updated for some pages and not others.

I have deleted all content from the SSL folder and the secondary folder I publish to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH and what output? All up to date? If you look at the generated output, are there any hints as to what's happened to still leave the old value in there? Are you able to create it in one of the sample projects? If so, then you've probably got a bug on your hands & it should be reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the project and the folder you are generating to both on the same drive and is it local?

As Jeff has asked, is this a responsive output or a webhelp output? Whichever it is, have you tried to see if it occurs in other output types?

If it is a responsive output, which one and have you tried another, just to test?

Whilst this could be a bug, I haven't seen it reported and I would have thought it would have surfaced by now if it was.

Is it always the same variables that are not updated and can you tie it to specific topics? In other words, is it all the variables in certain topics?

Finally but not least, have you tried deleting the CPD file and reopening the project? It shouldn't be necessary but back up first if in doubt.

See where that gets you and let us know.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter,

Good questions.

I'm generating responsive HTML. I just generated the content as a PDF and the variables reflect the changes I made, but for some reason, not in the HTML. I can see by looking at the generated HTML that the change is not correctly applied, so it's not a browser/caching issue.

So far I've only noticed this affecting certain topics and one particular variable, but who knows. I'll have to comb through this project to see if I can find other issues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news. I created a new responsive HTML output and problem is solved. I'm not sure what the issue is with the original output, but relieved to have found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of things you didn't do even when asked was tell us the version of RoboHelp. My guess is 2017, that you had applied the updates but not updated the layout.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, for future readers, this was 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp