• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp does not run in any browser

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Tech Comm Suite 2017 on a Windows 10 machine. To generate WebHelp, I am using RH (within Tech Comm Suite 2017). The default browser for my company is Chrome.  In Chrome (v. 63.x), the default topic opened but the TOC was unresponsive. The WebHelp properly ran in Firefox and IE11.

I had done some research on the Adobe Forums and found an edit to the whthost.js file that Peter Grainge suggested (with the blessing of Adobe). See ToC books not opening in Chrome . I made that change but to no avail. I also looked at this forum item, Re: ToC books not opening in Chrome . I don't know whether any of my files are corrupted.

I found an update to TCS so I ran that. When I again generated the WebHelp, the tab flickered and the main window remained blank in not just Chrome but also Firefox and IE11.

I copied the output into a folder at C:\a_RH_Projects_Output in case the path was too long for the browsers to cope with. Now, the WebHelp again properly runs in IE11 and Firefox but the books still do not open in Chrome.

Does anyone have a solution to the Chrome problem? I really need for this to run in Chrome.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Lore Eargle

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Thank you, Peter Grainge, for your patience and solutions. My WebHelp now opens in Chrome as well as IE11 and Firefox. This is what I did:

1. I uninstalled and reinstalled TCS 2017.
  2. I applied the update, 2017 Release of RoboHelp (Update 2) – Adobe Technical Communication Blog .
  3. I changed the line in whthost.js per Peter's instructions (Using RoboHelp 2017 ).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try generating it to a folder with a shorter path rather than just copying

it there.

More likely though is the update reversed the edit you made.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I've done that and had the same result.

I also tried copying everything to Drive because one person wrote somewhere that he had success when he copied the content (or maybe generated) to a web server. From Drive, Chrome displays the HTML code rather than rendering the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: The edit I made didn't fix the problem before I ran the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly the update has to be applied before the edit.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited the file after I ran the update and continue to have the same issue with Chrome and now with IE11 and Firefox. I tried going back to the original whthost.js file but get the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see whether there is something in  my project that is causing the issue, I opened the sample project, Whirl the World Travel. I get the same results (flickering tab, file does not open) in Chrome and Firefox. IE11, however, displays everything just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with one of the sample projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I get the same results with the sample project: flickering tab, blank page. So I decided to create a new project with one topic. When I generate WebHelp it opens in IE but does not open in Chrome or Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very odd as the problem has been restricted to Chrome. There is an IE problem but that is with Responsive help, not WebHelp.

I'm suspecting your installation now as the samples are a known quantity. Before you try that though, send me that one topic project with the output already generated. I want to run that output and see if I get the same problem and if I do, that it does not happen when I generate it.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

I won't be able to look until tomorrow.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. I emailed the file to the address on your web site.

In the meantime, shall I try uninstalling and then reinstalling?

Lore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've received a "bounce" message twice when I have sent the file to the address on this page, Contact Peter Grainge

Is that a good address or is the email bouncing because I am sending a zipped file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It bounced because you didn't follow the instructions.

I see the problem in what you generated but it works fine when I generate it.

I suggest you uninstall and reinstall.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Peter Grainge, for your patience and solutions. My WebHelp now opens in Chrome as well as IE11 and Firefox. This is what I did:

1. I uninstalled and reinstalled TCS 2017.
  2. I applied the update, 2017 Release of RoboHelp (Update 2) – Adobe Technical Communication Blog .
  3. I changed the line in whthost.js per Peter's instructions (Using RoboHelp 2017 ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drive is not a web server. Like Dropbox and other such hosts, they are not

configured to display HTML page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp