• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webhelp gives "Unable to get property 'toUpperCase'" on search after using the Webhelp to CHM tool

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I waffled between putting this in this forum or the chm forum... went here because it only happens when I convert a webhelp to chm.

I emailed support and talked to them via IM. Never ever received a response via email, and the IM support person said they would call me by eod and never did. (side question, why is support so unsupportive these days?)

RoboHelp Classic 19. Patched all the way up.

I built a web help using an existing template modified to our color scheme and icons. Everything worked fine.
I then used the Webhelp to CHM Conversion tool. Everything seemed to work fine, but clicking search gives this "Unable to get property 'toUpperCase' of undefined or null reference. It tells me which line the error happens on and which character. This error is a showstopper, as no matter which option I select, the search DOES NOT WORK.

searcherror.png

I tried the same thing with every single skin available, same error.

I tried one of the sample files, same error.

This is apparently a known issue, I see it in the forum but none have an answer. I know that the problem is in the code, probably in the referenced file. Why this issue still exists when I see other posts in previous versions of RoboHelp is astounding. (Pardon me, I'm extremely frustrated that I have to post here because support has ignored me.)

Has anyone ever successfully fixed this error on their own? Is there an adobe developer chillin' in the wings that knows what the problem is and can fix it? We release in 3 weeks and I cannot send help out with a non-functional search!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you create a new project and generate CHM help directly, it works? But doesn't if you go the WebHelp to CHM route?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I did also attempt that. And that's what we will go back to if I can't get this to work, but we don't want to. And, honestly, this is an issue that ought to have been fixed long ago. CHM files are kinda ugly, this method at least gives you some skinning options, which is why we want to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't hold your breath -

CHMs = super old technology; WebHelp = old tech, but still mostly supported; HTML5 = shiny new thing getting all the attention ;>)

I would Adobe RH support a buzz & see if they have any idea of a fix - it's got to be in the conversion routine that it's going sideways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem. As I mentioned before, support ignores my emails, and the chat support says they're going to call me and doesn't.

Also, the age doesn't matter. If they aren't going to support the tool, they should remove it from the product. This issue has apparently been present since they introduced the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could phone as Jeff suggested. Hoping someone with script knowledge will step in.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this as a bug to adobe and it's now listed as in development, so there's likely to be a fix with release 9. RH-4800.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similiar problem several years ago.

It could be interesting for you if you work with map files, too.

When we changed the process from "chm" output to "chm via webhelp" output, a similar (or identical - I can`t tell you anymore)

error message appeared. Our solution was to activate the BSSCDefault.h. We never worked with this map file, our chm projects handled with our own CadMap.h map file.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp