• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHXData package xml files?

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know what these package xml files in the whxdata folder are and why I might have so many of them? I did have about 1100 files in this folder and then something (I'm not sure what) happened and now I have 2444 files. 

whxdata files.PNG

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I started to reply, I saw this thread under Related Conversations.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is really something only the Adobe developers can answer. As someone once said on being asked if all the files were necessary, "only if you want the help to work".

I'm not trying to be flippant. It's simply not a question that can be answered here. To the best of my knowledge RoboHelp only creates what it needs so if the number has gone up, there has to be a reason, just don't know what it is.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Of course, I'm not an Adobe developer, but I believe I may be able to offer up a clue on the files.

The process of generating an output such as WebHelp or Responsive HTML5 causes many processes to unfold. During these processes, the information that comprises the TOC, the Index, the Glossary, and the Full Text Search is analyzed and is broken into smaller and more easily served chunks of information. Generally speaking, each of those files contains a small segment of the TOC or the Index and suchlike. 

I believe this helps make the overall project "speedier". For example, if your TOC has lots of nested levels, the top level items are loaded from those chunks first, then later the other levels are backfilled in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I saw that, but it doesn't explain what those files are for or why I have a varying number of them. I haven't come across any information that spells it out. As it makes a difference of over 1000 files that we need to include with our applications, I'd love to be able to minimize it as much as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's fewer files but at the expense of functionality for the user. That's a call for you.

Other settings may also have an impact but I suspect that one would have more than others. Is there a space issue here as it's rare nowadays with big drives for anyone to worry much about this?

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I played around with some of the settings and it turns out that when I made a new HTML5 Output preset, I had the Enable Substring Search option checked. When I unchecked this option, it generated with 1355 fewer files in the whxdata folder. So that one option, for us, is a difference of 1355 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Online Help files are attached to our software application, so the more files there are, the longer it takes to install. We're already sort of testing the patience of people with the number of files that we have. We also need to upload these projects to our company SharePoint, which has a 5,000 file limit per library. Without unchecking this setting, we were in excess of 5,000 files for the project, so I guess we had reached a practical limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your other alternative is to zip up the output, include the zip file in your installer & then unpack it when the installer runs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wondered if uploading to customers or installation might be your answer. On that, given the size of these files I wonder if it makes any significant difference. The Sharepoint library limit would still be a killer. Thanks for explaining.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp