Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-numbering not displaying correctly in Firefox output

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 2020.5.71.

In Firefox, topics with multiple auto-numbered lists aren't displaying the numbers in the correct order: 

SinglewireTechWriter_0-1624293139476.png

Chrome does not have the same problem:

SinglewireTechWriter_1-1624293196648.png

Is there a way to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Following the directions Peter posted to his RoboHelp site (https://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#:~:text=Adobe,problems%20in%20Firefox), I created a sample project with a topic that had multiple numbered lists using the "counter-reset" parameter. I confirmed that the output showed correctly in Chrome and Edge:

First List

Step 1.

Step 2.

Second List

Step 1. 

Step 2.

And that the lists displayed incorrectly in Firefox:

First List

Step 1.

Step 2.

Second List

Step 1. 

Step 3.

Using Source

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds more like a browser issue than something RH has any control over...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be, but if they support the use of Firefox as a browser for output (which it appears they do since it's an option for output presets, shouldn't it display correctly?

SinglewireTechWriter_0-1624303881544.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are just the browsers you've got installed - RH is just creating HTML5 output with CSS - any modern browser should be able to support that, but some browsers have "particular" interpretations of how to implement some of that. I'd have a look at what's going on in FF when it gets to that hunk of coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the published version, it looks like FF and Chrome handle the numbering differently when there are hidden paragraphs (I'm not sure what's going on with that.) 

Amebr_0-1624321503433.pngAmebr_1-1624321511459.png

The behavour is different from what your screenshots show, but it could be related. So it might be worth contacting support. See the following page for support contact options:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share the html source for this topic and corresponding css file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We were able to replicate this on our end, it looks like a bug in Firefox. Have a look at this documentation from firefox on MDN https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/counter-reset. This also has the same issue. It may be a bug with latest version of Firefox. I suggest we wait for them to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vikchand I can't see any known issues listed on the page? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amebr But we can see the issue on their page too. May be it is a recent break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see exactly the same behaviour in Chrome and FF, so I don't think there is any bug to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're reseting the numbering on the second list item, not the first (the blue highlighted row). So it looks weird, but is actually doing what they tell it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st and 2nd list item doesn't matter with css counters. In this case they are all H2 elements, so if counter is reset on any of them, it should start counting from that value for rest of the H2.

vikchand_0-1624431239530.png

This is what I see in firefox, while the the correct numbering should be 1, 6, 7 and 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. I was seeing 1,6,7,8 in Firefox yesterday. But not today. I must have a different version installed at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same issues. I'm not sure if this is the recommended way to go and what your css and html look like, but for me the following temporary fix resolved my issue: adding the counter-reset in css to div { } and enclosing my incorrectly numbered lists between div tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning. I've attached the CSS file I'm using for that topic. 

This is the URL for the topic I cite above: https://www.singlewire.com/help/fusion/cucm/#t=InformaCast_Fusion%2FWebmin%2FManage_On-premises_Serv...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see it is perfect in Edge and goes wrong in Firefox.

I'll leave @vikchand to look at the CSS. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took a look at the source view of your topic and there are a lot of div tags applied around that area.

I am wondering if that is what is affecting your numbering. Create a couple of lists without using any div tags.

Autonumbering that I have set up creates simple code such as

<p class="numbered">Item One</p>

<p class="numbered">Item Two</p>

<p class="numbered">Item Three</p>

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like an issue with firefox when counter-reset is used with lnline style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Peter's help, I've logged a bug with Mozilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1718070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Following the directions Peter posted to his RoboHelp site (https://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#:~:text=Adobe,problems%20in%20Firefox), I created a sample project with a topic that had multiple numbered lists using the "counter-reset" parameter. I confirmed that the output showed correctly in Chrome and Edge:

First List

Step 1.

Step 2.

Second List

Step 1. 

Step 2.

And that the lists displayed incorrectly in Firefox:

First List

Step 1.

Step 2.

Second List

Step 1. 

Step 3.

Using Source view, I searched for "counter-reset" and replaced it with "counter-set". I generated the project and then viewed the output in Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.

The lists displayed correctly for all browsers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp