Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

copyright

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I do illustrations for printed and e-books. Can I post on your resource my original illustrations for works of classics and modern authors, such as Stephen King, Dan Simmons, Josiah Bancroft, Philip Pullman, etc. These works have never been published.
best regards
Dmitriy.

[Moderator moved the thread to the correct forum]

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

These are my original images. I didn't create them for anyone. Now, if they buy them, then that’s another question, but for now they are 100% mine.

By @dmitri355327798z6p

As stated before, you can upload your original work in accordance with the terms of your contributor agreement.

This means that you need to own 100% of the copyright and any persons and recognizable assets need to be fictional or accompagned by the corresponding releases. You may be required to provide property releases for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Most likely, all resources have the same rules... 

By @dmitri355327798z6p

No, but all stock sites have the same or similar rules.If they would accept your work, it would be open for commercial use of any kind. You do not control the use and others don't neither. The buyer can do with the asset what they wan't, limited only by the licence terms. They impose only a few restrictions on what can be done.

Behance and other social media is different as it is your place to expose your work. It's no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the Adobe stock resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the Adobe Stock Contributor license agreement to determine whether your works are suitable for upload. You must have full intellectual property rights for anything you submit. If you created those works for someone else and gave them copyright you cannot submit to Adobe Stock.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my original images. I didn't create them for anyone. Now, if they buy them, then that’s another question, but for now they are 100% mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that for works of art, you will also need to provide a property release to clarify that you are both the owner and the author of the original works in questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot include the names of authors or their works in your titles or keywords. Read all of the Adobe Stock Learn & Support help pages before you start your stock journey.

https://helpx.adobe.com/support/stock-contributor.html

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks, I already understood. This is a problem....you can try to get around this by naming the works after the names of the characters in the story. For example, I have works called The  Crimson King.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks, I already understood. This is a problem....you can try to get around this by naming the works after the names of the characters in the story. For example, I have works called The  Crimson King.

By @dmitri355327798z6p

You are walking a very small path there.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @dmitri355327798z6p

As stated before, you can upload your original work in accordance with the terms of your contributor agreement.

This means that you need to own 100% of the copyright and any persons and recognizable assets need to be fictional or accompagned by the corresponding releases. You may be required to provide property releases for fictional characters, to assert that the characters are fictional, and not depicted after a different linving (or dead) person. 

If you create derivate work, like an illustration for a Stephen King novel, you need to get authorization from Stephe King to do that, except if the use falls under the "fair use" doctrine. For stock there is no such thing. 

Behance is different. That is your portfolio and you publish there what you want under your sole responsibility. Behance is more to showcase your talent and there are many artists showcasing their assets depicted on known characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. You explained everything very clearly. And they reassured me, I will wait for an answer from Behance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to give you an idea, you can search Behance for illustrations of known copyrighted characters. https://www.behance.net/gallery/79547221/Game-of-thrones-characters?tracking_source=search_projects|game+of+thrones&l=1

As I said, not all work is for sale there, most is to showcase your talent:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/62695391/Solo-A-Star-Wars-Story?tracking_source=search_projects|star+wars&l=7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. I am looking for an order as a freelancer. Selling individual images is not a very desirable result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it, given that one is not allowed to mention the names of authors or artist in their keywords or titles. If you didn't mention any names, and if it isn't obvious that the illustrations are referencing a particular book or a scene within it, then possibly. But without seeing a sample illustration, it's difficult to know for sure. But based on your question, I do see some IP issues would be involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem. I would like people to know what work this illustration is for....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem. I would like people to know what work this illustration is for....

By @dmitri355327798z6p

It's not possible to publish that on Adobe stock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, all resources have the same rules... I sent a question to Behance and "freepik", I'm waiting for an answer. But it is unlikely to be positive. What do you recommend, where can I place my works with a direct indication of why they were created? Social networks? but who will find me there... Discord? Reddit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, all resources have the same rules... 

By @dmitri355327798z6p

No, but all stock sites have the same or similar rules.If they would accept your work, it would be open for commercial use of any kind. You do not control the use and others don't neither. The buyer can do with the asset what they wan't, limited only by the licence terms. They impose only a few restrictions on what can be done.

Behance and other social media is different as it is your place to expose your work. It's not directly a market place where you sell a licence to your work, that will need to be negotiated individually with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines