• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Soft focus vs Bokeh on purpose

Participant ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an f0.95 lens. The images from it are dreamy and bokeh like crazy. When I shoot with this lens, that look is primarily the reason why. However, when I submit these images they tend to be rejected. I'm assuming it's related to soft focus, but that soft focus look is being done with a purpose, to create an effect to draw the eye to a specific point. Is there anything I can do to submit these heavy bokeh images that won't get rejected for soft focus? Some sort of better keywording perhaps?

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Ultimately, Adobe's customers decide this. Many of them license a photo then zoom in to check it in detail (whether or not they ever held a camera). If the focus isn't what they expect, they complain. They get a refund. Adobe's reputation suffers. So Adobe (by choice, customer compulsion or whatever) will favour safe and perfect over artistic every time. Yes, some customers would probably like the art, but the refunds are a killer (not financially, but reputationally).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

To get a better idea, post an example where your soft focus has been rejected. Just perhaps, not enough of the actual important part of the image is in sharp focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dscf0988_$1200pix_72dpi_web.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any artistic attempt is risky. Most of the rejection I've seen have objects only partially in focus just like you posted. If you're going to put something in focus, put it whole to show perfectly what you want to show. What is your focus on this picture? half a plate a knife and one finger?

If you want to show a bee on a flower, you should focus the whole bee and the whole flower, the bee and half-flower will look bad, better focus only the bee and no flower at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, that's why you got a rejection. Quite simply, not enough is in focus; it's not even soft focus. Your choice of f. 095 is way too shallow.

This image actually doesn't look dreamy. It's rather a big blurry mess, like when one doesn't have their glasses on!

This won't pass Adobe standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's important to remember that an artistically creative image might not be useful to a wide audience as a commercial asset.  A blur effect is easily applied in Photoshop, but sharpening an image that is blurry is much harder.  I think it makes sense that for broad appeal, at least the main focal points in an image should be in focus.

If you haven't done so already, the criteria that Adobe uses to evaluate photos can be found in the Adobe User Guide 

Happy shooting 🙂

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ultimately, Adobe's customers decide this. Many of them license a photo then zoom in to check it in detail (whether or not they ever held a camera). If the focus isn't what they expect, they complain. They get a refund. Adobe's reputation suffers. So Adobe (by choice, customer compulsion or whatever) will favour safe and perfect over artistic every time. Yes, some customers would probably like the art, but the refunds are a killer (not financially, but reputationally).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Artsy smartsy visual effects don't work in Stock imagery.  Here's why.  Customers need sharp, detailed images for use in commercial print projects like posters, calendars, t-shirts, tote bags, billboard and magazine ads.  When desired, background blur is easily applied after the sale. But blurry subjects have no commercial value to Stock or their customers.  

When submitting to Stock, select only your highest quality photos. Good lighting & composition, proper focus, color balance, etc...

See Photo & Illustration requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/photography-illustrations.html

Also compare your work with current Stock inventory in your keyword to ensure that it's as good or better than what Stock already has.  I'm confident your success rate will improve and you'll have more fun.

Hope that helps and good luck on your next submissions. 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines