• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Understanding Use of Keywords

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO, have spent some serious time getting over 300 images approved...still am amazed that for every one accepted, 2-3 are rejected, but that is for another discussion. Tonight went and looked at my page, and there is a button that says, "Find Similar"...a lot of times, clicking that button brings up nothing similar, though there should be.   Which leads me to believe there must be some clue to using keywords in a way that groups things better so that when someone does look at your work (do they actually look?) and click on that button you can increase your chances of a sale but letting them actually see more of your work in a similar vein.

So, is there someone who can provide some information on keywords, and how to use them in a way that seems your groups of pictures growing so potential customers could see similar works...or is there something else I am missing in making this work for me? 

Has Adobe thought of designing a set of online study video's on these topics with a test at the end, so us NEWBIES to stock photography could greatly improve our chances of selling something?  Gets discouraging when you have uploaded over 1000 images, have only had a little over 300 approved, and though you've made 20 sales, your cash earnings are barely over $14.   At this rate, think I am working for about 7 cents an hour.

Sherwood

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

The auto-keyword function is good once you have uploaded. However, you DO need to review them. The auto function lists a lot of the main words connected with the picture. But, it is important to review the words and add your own relevant words to the image, as well as deleting irrelevant  words.

If you haven't done already, read this guide:

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/stock/contributor/Adobe_Stock_Contributor_Guide.pdf

It is quite good.

oleschwander is right - I don't think there is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sherwood - for most people there isn’t any serious money in microstock, just a few pennies. It’s more kind of a hobby or a non-paid time cosuming passion ..!

Regardin keywording there is a lot of advises to be found around on the internet and also help to generate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saddens me, but am afraid you are perfectly correct in saying Stock Photography is not overly profitable...actually, not sure photography as a whole is profitable any more for the majority of us with a passion for it...so much free use stuff tossed out onto the internet like snowflakes in a Nor'easter.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think for some, and certainly not for a few, the business here is profitable, but not for others. Beginners/hobby providers often despair here and struggle with their income, sales figures and time expenditure.

From my experience it is quite possible to generate a good income here. Five years ago I started as a hobby supplier to produce pictures and upload them to Fotolia. In the first month I earned a hefty 0.25€, today I can almost pay my rent for the apartment. You can be successful, but like in any other job, I think not everyone can be successful. The time expenditure and learning effort for the beginner/hobby offerer is naturally higher than for the trained professional photographer in order to be able to generate sales in this business, that should be probably clear to everyone. You can't expect to earn money like a professional without supplying a suitable and professional stock material that can be sold by the agency.

These basic conditions are apparently underestimated or not perceived by this kind of providers and that leads to frustration or resignation, I suspect.

You should always be aware of this, even if everyone can register as a provider here, that it is still a professional stock photo agency that wants to market good, professional stock photos.

Greets,

v.poth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The auto-keyword function is good once you have uploaded. However, you DO need to review them. The auto function lists a lot of the main words connected with the picture. But, it is important to review the words and add your own relevant words to the image, as well as deleting irrelevant  words.

If you haven't done already, read this guide:

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/stock/contributor/Adobe_Stock_Contributor_Guide.pdf

It is quite good.

oleschwander is right - I don't think there is much money to be made - unless you do a lot of product type photography and that kind of thing, but of course to make money you would have a lot of downloads, in the 1000s.

For me, it is rather a non-paid time consuming hobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted illustrations and found a crazy list offered for me to accept and check or reject. If one of my portraits has a strange hairstyle I often get something related to a hat, construction hard hat, football or something terribly unrelated. Sure, it is my pleasure to select better descriptive words. I often end up composing a completely new list. Communicating with the potential buyer selected and interesting descriptions is a skill that is worth developing. PR people do it well. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While I am not in the "making big money" group from my Adobe Stock offerings, I am honored to participate in the process of learning and growing my skills as an artist. This exchange with the many talented artists and Adobe users is valuable, fun and excellent for connecting with markets all over the world. I even learn how to illustrate my children's book for international sales which my publishing company automatically handles. SO, money is not my main objective and I will stay with this the rest of my life. Of course, I do love the variety of responses to rejection - I am a retired Psychotherapist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

as far as I know you can't influence the "Find similar" display, it is set by the selectors. But I don't really know for sure, maybe Mat Hayward can say something about it.

Here is a tutorial from Adobe about keywording:

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/how-to/keyword-title-best-practices.html?playlist=/ccx/v1/collection/p...

It is also helpful to search the Adobe database for comparable images and look at the keywords used by other providers.

Greets,

v.poth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines