• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply all the colors of a flat bitmap to a texture to color it

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on Substance Designer, I created a texture for a carpet that references a flat pattern created earlier, to simulate the contours of the tufts to make it smooth between colors, the problem arises right here: I don't really know where to put my hands to get each color in the bitmap to be applied as such and such to the base color of the texture, I tried using a Quantize Grayscale to determine all the different gray tones, but it doesn't seem to work at all.
I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!

I attach below an image of the bitmap:

memphisPattern.png

TOPICS
General , How to , Substance Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Hi

That was an interesting one as the bitmap did not overlay perfectly onto the 'threads' and of course you want each 'thread' to be only one colour and not have them split. Using a gradient map resulted in overlaps rather than sharply defined threads.

I ended up with a slightly different approach that you may be able to adapt, using a mask to generate the threads for each colour, then combining them afterwards. That way any single thread only had a single colour the way it would in a woven prod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to repeat that actual pattern in which case just use a bitmap node and feed it to colour as in the example below

2022-12-28_16-55-42.jpg

If something different - can you show your graph so far, to explain what you are trying to achieve. It could be as simple as using the color picker to create a range of specific colours or you could use the pixel processor to sample from specific locations in your bitmap

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, sorry for the late reply, what I was trying to do, was to apply those exact bitmap colors to this graphic that I attach below:

Immagine 2022-12-30 000549.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you attach the sbs and I'll take a look at it for you.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! Here you are.
Thanks a lot for your time and your helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying - New Year and all that 🙂

Can you attach the graph file (sbs) rather than the output archive (sbsar). That way I can open the graph and modify it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I had the same problem as you! I had misunderstood, I apologize! Here you go:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: This is the bitmap, I forgot to include it as a resource

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That was an interesting one as the bitmap did not overlay perfectly onto the 'threads' and of course you want each 'thread' to be only one colour and not have them split. Using a gradient map resulted in overlaps rather than sharply defined threads.

I ended up with a slightly different approach that you may be able to adapt, using a mask to generate the threads for each colour, then combining them afterwards. That way any single thread only had a single colour the way it would in a woven product.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, oh wow, may God bless you, I've been trying to come up with this for weeks.
I thank you so much for your patience!

Greetings from Italy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines