Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug in 3D Planar Projection Color node

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I think there's a bug in the color version of this node, it's only applying depth masking to the alpha channel not the color channels.  The grey scale version works fine.

You can see on the output from the pixel processor for the color version it's only multiplying the depth mask over the w (alpha) channel not the rgb channels as well.

Mark_Edwards_0-1649835707797.png

in the grey scale version it works fin because it's just multiplying the one output value with the mask

Mark_Edwards_1-1649835818595.png

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Actually I wonder if it's supposed to be like that I guess it makes sense to use alpha for the depth on color, it was just confusing because when you drag the output into the opengl view as baseColor is dosen't look to use the alpha mask so looks like it's not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I wonder if it's supposed to be like that I guess it makes sense to use alpha for the depth on color, it was just confusing because when you drag the output into the opengl view as baseColor is dosen't look to use the alpha mask so looks like it's not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

Indeed, data is packed into the channels of output images when possible if some channels are left unused and the packing makes sense.

We will do our best to mention this in the node's tooltips, especially the tooltips of output connectors. This is an ongoing process as there are a lot of nodes in the Library!

In any case, I appreciate the feedback!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Luca!

Not sure where to send feature requests, but having some sort of for loop capability would open up so much more.  total get why you wouldn't want that risk in real time published stuff but for batch processing it would be great, perhaps have a flag that stops you publising it as a material or something liek that if it had a for loop.

For example I was looking at the tri-planar node because I wanted to do pisson distribution of points in the bounds of the UV which you can do with fx maps etc. then use pixel processor to read each point get position and world space normal so all of that is achievable, but then I want to say for each point pass that information to tri planar node and project whatever image I've passed to that using the position and world space normal, you can do that manually but hard to loop if that makes sense.

ended up doing it outside of designer in a different way then using designer to sphere project the final combined image back but it would be nice to have it all in one tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Mark,

This is indeed one of our long-standing user requests.

While the architecture and implementation of the Substance engine makes pure loops impossible, we have been experimenting for some time with other forms of loops in Designer. We have nothing to share at this time, however be assured this is has been in the back of our minds for a long time!

Hopefully we have something to show for it in the future!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines