• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to contain a pattern in other shapes (aka creating something like a border)

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly new to designer and i'm breaking my head over this.

I want to create something similar to here:

huhuhuh.PNG

And i've created a few tile generators that do their job with the color tiles perfectly, but i can't find a way to contain the tile generator patterns in a border shape kinda? Is there a smart way to create a shape/border around the tiles? So far my cube looks like this, without any white border and without the grey border at all because if i add a mask, it cuts the tiles on the edges in half

fdhsd.PNG

Maybe i'm entirely missing a point in how to control patterns in designer? Any tip or help is appreciated

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Substance Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Hello!

An easy solution can be to scale the tiles down without tiling, then blend the border in, as follows:

LucaGiarrizzo_0-1626720823413.png

To disable tiling on the Transformation 2D node, set the Tiling Mode parameter's inheritance method to Absolute, and select the No tiling option.

A Shape node is fed to an Edge Detect node which Edge Roundness parameter is set to 1.0. This provides as square with round corners which can then be connected to another Edge Detect node to extract the border shape.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

An easy solution can be to scale the tiles down without tiling, then blend the border in, as follows:

LucaGiarrizzo_0-1626720823413.png

To disable tiling on the Transformation 2D node, set the Tiling Mode parameter's inheritance method to Absolute, and select the No tiling option.

A Shape node is fed to an Edge Detect node which Edge Roundness parameter is set to 1.0. This provides as square with round corners which can then be connected to another Edge Detect node to extract the border shape.

I hope this helps!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks sm for explaining!! that solution works great for my material it looks so nice now ;o;

dhffsh.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad!

Have fun with the Substance 3D tools!

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines