• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking a tile pattern for the Tile Sampler Color node.

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got some clumps of grass that I'm putting into some Tile Samplers to make distributions of them. Grayscale clumps go into a Tile Sampler, and color versions go into a Tile Sampler Color with the same settings. The problem is that the color patterns stamp on top of each other as square tiles, while the grayscale clumps act as if they have alpha information (or mix together as if they're all an Add blend). A couple images are attached to show what I mean.

I'm looking for a way to mask individual pattern inputs for the Tile Sampler Color. Anyone have any ideas?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found what might be the only solution. Add/Sub blend mode instead of alpha blend in the Color section.

Don't love the blend, wish it could look like a Copy with alpha masking instead, but it'll do for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't get over the blend, I'm now just doing multiple Tile Samplers for each different clump, with fewer tiles showing, and with a random seed that avoids all overlap.

Kind of annoying workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ensured your color pattern input has an alpha (use alpha merge node as below if it does not)

2022-09-13_22-17-16.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple patterns going in, and don't see that it permits multiple alphas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Still works here, unless I'm missing what you are aiming to achieve.

2022-09-14_20-14-56.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alpha merge only works with color nodes. I'm using grayscales, and different patterns for different output nodes, like for normalmaps.

I'll see if doing color/grayscale conversions before and after the tile sampler can be made to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines