• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My texture looks good on the rounded cylinder but poorly on the sphere

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Sorry if this is something really simple but I really want to understand this. I made a texture and it looks great on the rounded cylinder(taken from the scene) but when i switch to the sphere (also taken from the scene), It stretches out and a lot. I tried to switch resolution but it did nothing. Nothing has changed. I'll provide 2 pictures below. What should I do? I need it to work exactly on the sphere. Thank you

Iryna37518717rafr_0-1717826569328.pngIryna37518717rafr_1-1717826590865.png

TOPICS
3D View , General

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing is not an issue with your texture but the result of the way the UV map is unwrapped on the sphere with stretching around the 'equator' and narrowing at the 'poles'. A simple checker pattern shows this up.

davescm_0-1718032818559.png

Sphere two tiles shows less obvious stretching, but a square material (required for tiling) does not fit exactly onto a sphere surface so there will always be a compromise:

davescm_0-1718033026714.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for a late reply and bothering you with the next question:
How do you do two tiles less?
Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

In Substance Designer you only need to concentrate on getting your material to look right on a tileable square. The various preview models are there to show what it might look like on different simple objects - but the spheres will always distort your texture.

Once you have your good tileable texture, applying it to a model is the role of Substance Painter where you can apply it to the surfaces using different projections.

There is an interim stage though, between the above, and that is the unwrapping of the model onto the UV surface.  This is usually done in your 3D modelling software, or in a dedicated application. It involves mapping the curves and shapes of the 3D model surface onto a flat surface (in a similar way in which a clothes designer lays out a flat pattern to cut out material).  On anything but the simplest model (e.g. a cube) this involves compromises in terms of where will you put seams, where can you allow a small degree of stretching and where can you not. This, in combination with Painters use of projection options, will be the key to applying your material succesfully and evenly to a model surface.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines