Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Triangular cracks

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!
I need some help. I am trying to create stylized rock pattern and now i want to add some cracks on its corners. Those cracks should be triangular and be of different sizes. And now it's a bit tricky to me how achieve that result. Some people tell me to use slope blur but using slope blur usually gives a rounded result, but what i need are cracks with sharp corners. Do someone have any ideas how to make it? I'll be very glad for any help.

Result should be something like this

2532734009r2_0-1658344886735.png

TOPICS
How to , Substance Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Hello,

You can use a Crystal 1 generator to chip away hard triangular shapes from tiles. See attached package tile_cracks.sbs for an example.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 11.11.51.png

Another approach could involve generating a crack shape using a combination of Crystal 1 and Cross Section and using a Splatter node to distribute them. See attached package tile_cracks_2.sbs for that option.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 11.26.46.png

In both examples, a Vector Warp node is used to break the continuity of cracks across neighbour tiles.

I hope this is helpful!

Best r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Another alternative for hard edge chips/cracks is to make the hard edges and use a flood fill mapper to distribute them

2022-07-21_12-31-22.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You can use a Crystal 1 generator to chip away hard triangular shapes from tiles. See attached package tile_cracks.sbs for an example.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 11.11.51.png

Another approach could involve generating a crack shape using a combination of Crystal 1 and Cross Section and using a Splatter node to distribute them. See attached package tile_cracks_2.sbs for that option.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 11.26.46.png

In both examples, a Vector Warp node is used to break the continuity of cracks across neighbour tiles.

I hope this is helpful!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another alternative for hard edge chips/cracks is to make the hard edges and use a flood fill mapper to distribute them

2022-07-21_12-31-22.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I shall investigate that, thank you for quick and useful reply! You are doing amazing job. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad this was helpful Vitaliy, thank you for the kind words!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines