• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accurate metalness values for complex materials

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I've struggling with complex materials such as plastic painted with metallic paint(with granules of metall), blued steel, parkerized iron, black iron, casted iron, blacked metalls. Overheated metalls. 

I think this kind of materials should have values in between of 0 and 1,but I don't what correct values it would. I try to guess it by eyes, maybe there is something like a chart for this types of materials? 

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never seen such a chart.
There have been discussions on Polycount but nothing as conclusive as for x use y. With some of those burnt materials lowering metallness along with taking the reflectance in the base colour map down at the same time seems to yield a convincing result. But it seems to be "tweak it till it looks right" rather than a hard science approach, which is understandable as rendering is an, albeit science based, approximation.

For metallic paint you might want to look at an approach using a shader that allows a coating so a layer with a dielectric base paint. A layer with metal particles with variations in height and angle and a layer with a clear coating.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources