• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Base color (diffuse) disappearing when I enable subsurface scattering in any shader

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm using the new Adobe version of Substance Painter 3D. I'm working on a project where I want to have subsurface scattering. So I've enabled it in my camera/video settings, the shader I'm using (asm-metal-rough) and set the scattering color to "scattering color channel". 

As soon as I do this, the diffuse (base) color disappears off of all of my texture sets in Painter, including ones that don't even have scattering channels. The only way to get them back is to turn off subsurface scattering.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug? I can approximate the results I'm looking for if I use the Redshift - Rayleigh scattering with default albedo, which works, but as soon as I make the color source my scattering color channel, my base colors all disappear. 

Help? Is there some minimum system requirement I'm lacking? I have the reqs for the general application. 

The last screenshot is showing that if I turn off the scattering color channel, there's no color at all on my material even though it has a base color. 

- Mark

TOPICS
Baking , Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

When using the scattering color channel as the base for your scattering, you are effectively replacing the base color by this scattering color wherever your material is translucent. When using Scattering, Painter will use consider your whole model to be translucent by default. If you want the SSS to affect only parts of your model, make sure to add a translucency channel to your texture set and use that as a mask between translucent (white) and opaque (black) parts of your model.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When using the scattering color channel as the base for your scattering, you are effectively replacing the base color by this scattering color wherever your material is translucent. When using Scattering, Painter will use consider your whole model to be translucent by default. If you want the SSS to affect only parts of your model, make sure to add a translucency channel to your texture set and use that as a mask between translucent (white) and opaque (black) parts of your model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources