• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash When I Paint

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK program starts now, that's a good sign I guess?

But as soon as I start painting the tutorial model that appears the program freezes and stops responding. I did the registry key thing it tells you to do so I don't get why it is freezing? It sits in Task Manager on 0% CPU and 2GB RAM used (I have 16).

The program is completely unusable and unreliable. 😞

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

you can go within the installation folder and rename the .exe "Substance Painter", this should solve all issues you are having 🙂

I tried it and after that My painter stop crashing... It's works for me... You can try it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to happen if I move the mouse anything but a slow crawl???

I've enclosed the log. It says it has a plugin called iray using nVidia but I don't have an nVidia card? I use AMD on the newest drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as well.

Lets see if I can figure it out.

Already figured out a workaround for Sampler not installing. Now that i've had some sleep after being up for 30+ hours, now maybe I can try and help figure this out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe the iRay errors are the problem, that's only for iRay rendering, saying since we don't have Cuda Cores it won't use them essentially and go back to handling it on the CPU instead of GPU.

Scanning down (my) log, lets see what all I can find.

[WARN] <Qt> QMetaProperty::read: Unable to handle unregistered datatype 'Alg::PaintData::Float3' for property 'Alg::ColorButton::value'

That's really all I can find in my log, it's the only warning, the only errors were the iRay stuff, but I mentioned above I don't think that's even the problem as it's going to CPU instead to handle iRay rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any Adobe people - I did submit a bug-report that contains my crashlogs and Crashpad whatever that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a temporary work around where it doesn't crash.

At the top right of viewports you'll see a couple camera icons. A bit to the left of that you'll see a pause icon. Click that and you can paint. Then click it again to see your updated paint strokes on the mesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I won't be able to see the paint appear as I add it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that works for me too, no crash if I press pause. Not a particularly usable way of working though! Does show where the issue may be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah not usable really haha.

But it does help isolate things I think.

I submitted a bug report earlier (you may want to as well).

Support got back with me rather soon.

They said to try downgrading drivers (I don't know how to downgrade AMD GFX drivers), so perhaps you can try that. They said they had a similar issue like this a few months ago. I guess certain driver versions could potentially do this. But no idea on that front. Never had issues when it was substance launcher and using SP, SD, Alchemist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have several users reporting stability issues on AMD GPUs with the latest update, we are currently investigation the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to keep us updated to any news on the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on the matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can go within the installation folder and rename the .exe "Substance Painter", this should solve all issues you are having 🙂

I tried it and after that My painter stop crashing... It's works for me... You can try it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I legitimately thought you were trolling us so I never even attempted it. When they marked it as correct I couldn't believe it so I tried it. Wow, this is totally nuts and actually fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, so still not fixed as of Jun 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which AMD drivers version do you use ?

This is a bug in AMD GPU drivers that should have been solved already. See: https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/gpu-drivers-compatibility-205362107.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources