• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Mesh back to blender

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i used Substance painter to bake high poly details onto a low poly mesh.

I'm curious how i could export the new lowpoly/high detail mesh back into blender.

Thanks 

TOPICS
Baking

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

When you bake, the low poly mesh does not actually change. The detail is baked into the associated mesh normal map. 

When you add a material it is added on top of that mesh normal map.

So to use that in Blender you just export the texture maps and apply them to the model in Blender. Blender's Node Wrangler plug in allows you to apply all the PBR maps in one go.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you bake, the low poly mesh does not actually change. The detail is baked into the associated mesh normal map. 

When you add a material it is added on top of that mesh normal map.

So to use that in Blender you just export the texture maps and apply them to the model in Blender. Blender's Node Wrangler plug in allows you to apply all the PBR maps in one go.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave! 

Theres so many different export options, is there a suggested path? Im new to exporting out of Substance painter. Thanks for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

There is a provided template for Blender (called Blender (Principled BSDF)) which exports Basecolor, Normal (in converted * Open GL format), Metallic, Roughness, Emission, Alpha and Displacement (which is just the height information).

For most uses I use a cut down version of that which has mostly the maps above but leaves out the emission and alpha, displacement is named height in this case but Blender's node wrangler will still connect it correctly.

2023-06-12_21-33-01.jpg

For size it depends on where the model will figure in the scene. Foreground 'hero' objects I tend to use a fairly high size 2048 x 2048 or higher but distant objects fairly low 1024 x 1024 or less.

*The converted normal map incorporates the height information in the normal map.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources