• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export UDIM textures with description rather than udim number?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am new to using UDIM, currently using the last version of Painter (before all this adobe update, not ready for that yet). I am frustrated trying to keep track of my assets by their udim number and would prefer to send them out with their description name (which i have added in the list next to the UDIM ID). I know that you add .$udim to get the number in the name, but what do you put in to get the description instead? ie SofaLeather instead of 1003. Is there a way?

TOPICS
UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

We had several similar suggestions on that subject already, so you are not alone. We have discussed about it internally but no ETA/promises regarding if we are gonna do something about it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would use the tags, but you still want the UDIM number at the end for importing outside of Painter.

• $mesh : name of the mesh file that was loaded in the project
  • $textureSet : name of the texture set

So example, $mesh_$textureSet_BaseColor(.$udim)

This would give something like: door_panel_BaseColor.1001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,thanks for replying.  I already know about Unum number and mesh.  What I NEED is to be able to export the udim description field in the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're restricted to the tags allowed, there is nothing further you can add beyond typing something manually in the output template field for that channel.

If the discription is static for all the sets then add it to the template prior to the (.$udim)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had several similar suggestions on that subject already, so you are not alone. We have discussed about it internally but no ETA/promises regarding if we are gonna do something about it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for responding.  Being able to add something like (.$desc.udim) or something like that to get description and udim at the end of the file name would be ideal.  It would work way better when the 'machine' translating the files is a human and not another piece of software. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this topic ?
This ".$desc.udim" tag would be really usefull. Some internal pipeline are still in mixed workflows and it would definitly give the flexibility needed for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The same issue is being discussed here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/substance-3d-painter-discussions/need-ability-to-export-udim-tile-s-n... . If you want to help out upvote at the top of the pages to bring more attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources