• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed to decode bitmap

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to Adobe's version of Substance Painter, I've been seeing the error message of "Fail to decode bitmap" followed by the name texture.  Mostly of which are my AO maps baked by Substance.

I've tried rebaking the AO mas and still receive the same errors.
My resources are up-to-date and I ran a cleaning session about a wek ago in hopes of fixing the issue.

Any thoughts?

michaelc8788009_0-1639928860134.png

TOPICS
Baking , Bugs & Crashes , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached log file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Same here, using version 7.4 on Windows.

This happened when importing this EXR texture: https://github.com/colour-science/colour-nuke/blob/master/colour_nuke/resources/images/ColorChecker2... in the shelf.

Got the exact same error.

Cheers.

Liam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

if you project is not UDIM - UV Tile workflow, then better to name your images resources with 001 ... in the prefix of the resource.
Check some resource might be corrupted.

Driver settings status detection failed.
Error in the installation of the profile in Painter from settings NVIDA. Update or reinstall your driver

Duplicate material name

Material name double in mesh import , so a piece will be ignored for the creation of texture sets.

Invalid File URL
Empty path and maybe a corrupted resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the answer !

Here is a few more test I did:

test01

- Download the sRGB_ColorChecker2014.exr from the link in my previous message

- Create a copy named with the 2014: sRGB_ColorChecker.exr

- Open sample project "Jade Toad"

- Drag the 2 textures created before in the shelf, import them as texture, validate.

- Got this message:

[Project management] The project image "sRGB_ColorChecker" loaded from "G:/temp/sp_failed_decode_bitmap/sRGB_ColorChecker.exr" was replaced with the image at "G:/temp/sp_failed_decode_bitmap/sRGB_ColorChecker2014.exr" because they have the same name.

- In my shelf I only see one texture named "sRGB_ColorChecker", still got the decode bitmap error when I try to use it.

test02

- Download the sRGB_ColorChecker2014.exr from the link in my previous message

- Rename it without the "2014": sRGB_ColorChecker.exr

- Open sample project "Jade Toad"

- Drag the textures created before in the shelf, import it as texture, validate.

- Use it in fill layer: it works

So it indeed seems to come from numbers in filename, but why this kind of file worked before without issue and since the new updates it doesn't work anymore ?

Cheers.

Liam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cedric, was your reply meant for me or Liam?  If not, has some one on your team seen my thread?

If for me, Im using the UDIM / UV Tile workflow.

I checked the log file and only the Ambient Occclusion maps can't seem to be decoded.
I haven't imported any mesh texture maps.  All maps were baked in Substance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The Qa will look to it.

and contact you.

Best regards
Cédric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cedric,  just a friendly bumb as a reminder for Qa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not sure your case and Liam's are linked. I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, even with your settings. If you could share a texture asset that produces your problem, I could better understand the issue. 

Does the error message prevent you from working? Knowing that would allow us to pinpoint the bug origin point.

Sorry for the delay,

Kind Regards,

Geoffroy SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error hasn't caused any noticeable affects.  Everything seems to be working as it should.  Even with the errors showing.  I have attached one of the mesh textures generated by SP.

Note:  This only happens with the Ambient Occlusion mesh maps.

(If the info below helps any)
The project I'm working on has a considerable amount of UDIM tiles, with the SPP file hovering at 15 GB.
I have 128 GB of RAM and 12 GB of VRAM.  Depending on what I'm doing, my task manager shows roughly 20 to 40 GB used at any given time.

Cheers
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same problem using Substance 3D Painter, version 7.4.1
Build 1418 - 7c8c2fc4fdff1f8e3d4000066a023321898b6277

Project was upgraded from 2020, to 2021, to 2022.

Assets in question are quite literally everything.  PNGs from Inkscape, GIMP; PNGs and JPGs from the internet; even freshly-baked meshes go corrupt immediately after being generated.

I am no longer recommending that my colleagues update to 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm currently looking into the issue. Could you share with us your color management settings? I'm not able to reproduce the problem on my side.

Kind Regards,

Geoffroy SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoffroy, I'm using the default color profile provided with the "pbr-metal-rough-with-alpha-blending" shader.

Shisa82_0-1640218979667.png

Shisa82_1-1640219181303.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I actually can't believe that adding _001 to the end of a Bitmap file name, fixes the, 'Failed to decode bitmap' Error. Come on Adobe, what are you playing at, give us a heads up when you make changes like this, please. I just spent two hours of valuable time trying to figure this out. It doesn't even make sense in a None Udim workflow. Make the user's lives easier, please 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @TheCodenburger,

I totally get your frustration. The 001 naming convention currently serves to Substance 3D Painter, even if you aren't using a UDIM workflow, in case you'll need to grow your texture set. 

But I think you're right and we didn't communicate correctly on this change. We'll try to be more careful for the next release notes.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever solved? I see this even after re-baking mesh maps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2024 Sep 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - rebaking sometimes fixes the issue but not always.  Mac Studio - MacOS 15.0 and MacOS 14.7, I will try teh renaming work around mentioned the above posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2024 Sep 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The renaming workaround works sometimes, but then the error reappears on a renamed file.  Visually the AO's look good, just the error bothers me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources