• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed to save - "Can't serialize empty surface"

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to post my solution to this error that was preventing me from saving in Substance 3D Painter 7.4.3. I had seen several posts saying this is caused by having lost/unallocated textures in the file, but I did not have any. What solved the issue was deleting the default "Layer 1" paint layers that Painter automatically adds to each texture set. I imagine any empty layer could cause this error. It seems incredibly neglectfull that the file defualts that ship with a software are completely preventing user files to be saved in some cases. 

Filing a bug report for this as well, but figured it would be useful as a topic here in the meantime.

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Use this Go to

File > Clean then save.

It's worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me deleting the layers created by default by substance but I opened the error log and right clicked + clear and it let me save. It also makes a lot of sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it didnt make sense to me when you just have to clear the error log but it works for me man. Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just having this issue. Mine was caused by an imported texture. Not sure why there was a problem at all, as I've done this many times before, but I created an ID map outside of substance and imported it to my project. All my other maps were baked in Substance. Once I removed the file from my project completely (cleared from baked maps and cleaned my file), I was able to save again. I tried reimporting the file again to see if it would work, but had the same issue. So, ended up unable to use my id map. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Na nothing is working..there's no default layers, cleared extra resources, still giving error [ResourceImage] Can't serialize empty surface

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this Go to

File > Clean then save.

It's worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s happened to me too, but cleaning the scene worked perfectly, thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usually happens with corrupted bakes, invalid paths to imported assets, and other similar issues: the "clean" option is here to solve that sort of issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean remove unused resources? I can't find clean option in file menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Clean option has been renamed Remove unused resources... We thought the previous name was a bit abstract, but it does the same thing.

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Removing unused resources" didn't work for me. I worked with one map fixing it with Photoshop then reloading to Substance. The problem solved when I resaved it with Photoshop in different file, deleted that broken one in Substance and loaded the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the probleme too. "Remove unused resources" does not fix it. It seems the problem happens because a previous failure of loading a new alpha. I got the alpha with a beautiful red cross instead of the preview. The alpha is valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is very probably due to the corrupted ressource. Delete the ressource, try to save and let me know if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not corrupted. bitmap issued from Substance designer as PNG. I delete it twice...it does not disappear. The third time I succeed and reimport it successfuly. Bug !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not solved ! Having same issue. Used Clean, deleted the imported projection texture files from shelf, every layer and projection brush, and from source folder, in separate save attempts, still not saving. Having same problem o mac and pc with different, unrelated files and hierarchies. Mine says [ResourceImage]Cant Serialize Empty Surface -> Save Failed,  currently.

It's encouraging that this thread is recent. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you got it. I definitely believe in a bug. I am a computer engineer
and I tested it with computer science methodologie. It is a bug. Fix it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the message @LioCursor .

Can you share your log (help > export log), so I can take a closer look at the error? You can send it at cdellenbach@adobe.com

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, unfortunately each SP start erase previous error log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll also find the log in

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Adobe Substance 3D Painter

So no need to launch a new session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LioCursor ,

Thanks for the log file image.

It seems you are using a file named "*****.png" which is located in a One Drive folder. I advise you to delete the layer containing this asset, remove unused resources, and then map a path for the network folder before reimporting the asset.

Substance 3D Painter doesn't support networked paths because this require an account authentification , which the software can't do. I'm afraid this is what was causing the issue.

For you @Silent5EF3, I admit not seeing any significant error in the log. Was the last opened project the one with saving issues? I'd advise you to make sure the shader isn't outdated (Resources updater > Shader), but I'm not sure this will solve the problem.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for taking time to investigate. Next time it happens I will collect all logs and make screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im currently having the same issue 

[ResourceImage] Can't serialize empty surface
[Project] Failed to save project to 'I:/VR CHAT AVATAR/Avatar bases/floofvali files/v1 wrong UV.spp'
[Project management] Save failed - this is unusual, check previous messages for more information

i have removed my unwatned assesnt and none of my imports are in the cloud 

help me please! i dont want to lose the last 5 hours of my life 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources