Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with physical paint masters - no PBR

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My conpany just purchased a Mimaki color printer (amazing!) and we make physical board games and toys.  I want to use the Mimaki to produce paint masters that we then send off to license holders for approvals or manufacturing to produce.  I am trying to use Substance painter to produce solid colors on my models but I can't figure out how to paint without PBR.  I don't want cast shows, I don't want occular occulsion, I only want solid diffuse colors.  Substance makes it so easy to produce amazing textures but I can't figure out how to turn all that off and just paint with solid colors and output to a 3D printer.  I am comfortable in the Adobe workflow and don't really like ZBrush or Blender and would like to stay in Substance.  How do I dumb it down to get what I want?  I will include a picture.  I want to paint like the left model, flat color only, not llike the right which is what i get becuse of PBR.  Any help would be appreciated.  It seems like it would be so simple to do, just solid colors on a surface.IMG_3031.jpg

TOPICS
Baking , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Illustrator, Indesign, or Photoshop to produce your solid colors.  3D tools are not equipped to produce brand colors accurately.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't an issue of matching a pms color, it's how to apply a solid color (any color) to a surface in Substance and export it without any PBR baking and print it on a color 3D printer.  I don't want specular hightlight, shadows, gradients, just a solid color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just turning off all channels except BaseColor, in texture set settings? 

Once done, you would also need to set up a specific custom export to export that single channel only.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Substance so I am literally following youtube examples.  The painting part is fine I think, I am not usiing dynamic textures I am using only fill colors set to the color I want and using masks.  When I unwrap it in Substance, the UV is dynamically lit, I move the light the shadows move.  I don't want that, I want them lit 100% from all angles.  I don't know how to set up a custom export.  More examples of what I want the output to be: Like the cactus, he is green all the way around and under his arms, there is no shadow printed in the surface area.  Just like you were holding plastic toys in your hand. Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 1.37.07 PM.png

Artist: Follygon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Don't mistake the preview with the actual output. Both 2D and 3D view show the effect of lighting when they are set to 'material' view (top right in each of the windows). However that lighting is for preview only and is not exported in the texture maps.

So for your use case:

1. In texture settings - delete all channels except BaseColor.

2. Paint in Material mode to see light and shadow in the preview or set those Windows to BaseColor to see the painting colour without directional lighting.

3. When you have finished, select Export Textures from the file menu and in the Output Templates tab create a new preset and have that only containing the Basecolor map. Once saved you can use that preset in future model painting.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources