• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I exclude a texture set from affecting others ambien occlussion?

New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case scenario, Im doing an airplane panel, and I would like to make AO for the gauges, but the glass texture set will darken the result. Isnt it somewhere a simple tick does says, exclude glass from AO computation?

TOPICS
Baking

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @RodFdez,

The most common workflow isn't to exclude the AO computation, but to paint over the current map. There is a specific workflow to follow:

1. Add the AO channel in the Texture set Settings properties

add_ao_channel.png

2. Turn the AO mixing mode to Replace.

ao_mix_mode.gif

3. Create a new Fill Layer, put your baked AO map in the AO slot and switch its blending mode to Normal instead of Multiply.

4. Create a new Layer, set its blending mode to Normal and paint where you want to correct the AO

AO Correction.gif

In your case, this solution isn't perfect because it will completely remove the AO for the gauges, or you'll have to recreate it yourself.

Another solution would be to separate the glass from the rest of the 3D mesh in your modeling software, give it another name and set the Self Occlusion option to Only Same Mesh name in the AO baking parameter.

Self Occlusion.png

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, but neither of those tricks would be good, the second one because I have more than 2 texture set so despiste it could avoid the Glas for Ao it would also avoid the other sets.   

Actually I found a better solución that is just to export the glass mesh displaced a few meters, does the trick but also not ideal as I cant see the glass on top of the gauges. 

I would love to see in the future some way to specify sets properties like AO exclussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can set the Self Occlusion parameter only for the Texture Set with the glass.

Baking texture set.png

Export the AO with Self Occlusion (RMB > export resource...), bake once again the mesh as usual, reimport the self occluded AO, add it in the layer stack and mask everything except the gauge parts using the 1st workaround I told you earlier (tell me if it isn't clear).

Definitely tedious, but the result should be clean.

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources