• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Text and assets, then apply Materials? Foil and raised Effects... Help?

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on the outside of a custom top and bottom box(es) for a product and trying to learn!
(packaging). (attached example)

The "real thing" has printer embellishments - embossing, gold and silver foil effects.
I am attempting to re-create and learn how to create the same effects.

In Illustrator, I exported all the text, pieces and part of the logo as separate PNG assets.
I have the 3d box objects set to go! (top and bottom).

I imported and placed the PNGs (text, pieces (graphics) and logo) in the right places.

Part of the logo is gold foil, raised (embossed). It's a unique shape, thus PNG imported.

Alot of the text is matte white - flat or raised and some of the text is silver foil and gold foil embossed.

How can I apply gold foil/silver, foil (metal, shiny) materials to the assets?
Can that even be done? Not PNGs? A different file format? Wrong approach?

Desperately trying to improve and learn...

Emma B! :-)-------

TOPICS
Baking , Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many way ways to do this - but the easiest is probably to use a fill layer for your metallic material with a mask based on your PNG text.

1. Add a fill layer and either drop in a metallic material from the shelf (or from Adobe 3D assets ) or make one .A metallic material will have the metallness channel set to 1 and for your purpose, make it shiny by using a low value for roughness (say 0.2 or less)

Turn on the height channel and raise the height to a positive value (this will raise the lettering)

2. Add a black mask to the fill layer which will hide it

3. Click on the mask and choose Add Paint. This will let you paint on the mask

4. Import your PNG lettering using Import Resources and set the use as Alpha

5. Add that Alpha as a stencil (drag and drop into the stencil slot) and position it

6. Brush with white - so that you are brushing through the stencil onto the mask to reveal the metallic letters

2022-02-14_15-43-18.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so kindly for the guidance.  Your example (screenshot) is precisely what I am trying to accomplish.

Would you take Venmo for a sample .ssg file?  LOL

There's so much to learn.

I'm going to give it a try 🙂

Emma B! :-)-------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources