• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Normal map differences between Document channels and all export templates in Painter

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a new file containing only 1 layer, a material from Substance source. I have not modified the settings of the material.

When I export the textures using "Document channels + Normal + AO (No alpha)" it creates a normal map that is visually identical to the one displayer in the viewport. Further, when using this material in the maya substance integration this is the same normal map that is generated, and, when using this material in designer it is the same normal map exported.

However, if I use any other export preset in Substance painter (PBR, Arnold aiStandard, a custom template) the normal map looks very saturated and wrong! This is not an OpenGL/DX issue, both versions have this problem. 

What is the difference in the way the normal map is being interpreted using document channels vs the export templates? I am tempted to believe the document channels option is correct, since so many other substance systems generate the same output.

Using Templates:

dylanh21564456_0-1625700912264.png

Using document channels, integrations, or designer:

dylanh21564456_1-1625700969251.png

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the name of the material you used ? We will try to replicate the issue on our side to invesitgate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be greatly appreciated! The material is Synthetic Fleece

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Could the difference be due to the export presets using Direct X or Open GL Converted maps which combine the Height, and Normal channels ?

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/creating-export-presets-98959398.html

2021-07-09_10-44-59.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources