• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible Functionality? - Dynamic Stroke Brush - Output Linked with Stroke Direction

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if it would ever be possible to create a custom dynamic stroke brush in Designer that outputs specific colors based upon the brush stroke orientation in Painter. 

Background: I set out to make a Bend Direction map for some VrayFur splines in 3DS Max. However, the plugin that is supposed to facilitate that has not yet been updated for the 2021 or 2022 versions of Max. As a result, I'm going to attempt to paint the directional map in Painter instead.

The Bend Direction map works like a normal map where the RGB values correspond to vector directions based upon the UV layout of the model. I will have to set my brush colors manually based upon the directional information I intend to paint on the mesh. Obviously this is not an easy or efficient way to do things. So, I was wondering if it would ever be possible to make a brush for painting groom directions for this purpose. My guess would be that Painter could work off mesh maps and brush stroke direction, output the data as variables, and those numbers could be run through a designer graph which would automatically --and dynamically, output the correct color for the brush as it's being used. Ultimately, making a result that would "push" the splines in the direction of the brush stroke, but in color map format. 

I hope this makes sense --curious to see what the possibilities are here.  

I haven't painted my maps yet, but please let me know if they might be helpful to serve as an example. 

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dynamike stroke system doesn't have access to this kind of information, because usually the rendering of the Substance graphs is done before the actual painting. So the information of direction, opacity, angle, etc cannot be known in advance to the rendering and provided as a graph input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Fabrice --I figured as much, but still wanted to ask for curiosity's sake. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources