Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about Generators and Normal map

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I write my first post today about a question regarding generators and normal map. I hope to be at the right place for that, I'm a bit lost between the change of forums in with all these new accounts. Here is my situation:

I have to do 2D game textures for somebody. To save time and have flexibility, I made them with Substance Painter. I simply created a single plane as texture "support", then imported it to starting creating the textures. I've made them using diffuse, roughness and normal maps, but I would like to add dust for example, that would be on the top of my "geometry" and in the cavities. In other word, I would like to have the generators using the current normal map instead of the generated one at the initial baking textures.

You would tell me that I simply have to do the high poly versions in 3DS Max then bake it into Substance Painter as intended, but I have to do several ones on the same template/style and it would be much easier and faster do to all in SP.

Based on some searchs I already did too unclear, I heard that this is not officially supported for now, but workarounds exists. So this why I come today on official forums, to get, I hope, the advices and tips from experienced artists.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Without seeing your layers, it may work for you to set a lower layer with the normal detail to be an anchor point, then set the generator to use the normal map from that anchor point

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/anchor-point-159452735.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing your layers, it may work for you to set a lower layer with the normal detail to be an anchor point, then set the generator to use the normal map from that anchor point

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/anchor-point-159452735.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah interesting! I'll try that and I will be back here to tell!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

After few tries, I managed to do what I wanted with anchors. Many thanks for the help, especially when it's fast and simple!

Have a good day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources