Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

reflection of fingers on the others when normal map baking

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

i have a strange problem when baking maps. i dont know what should i call it (maybe normal map artifact or something). refer to the pics i've uploaded you can see the reflection of the fingers on the others on normal map.

I've tried more than 5 different UV's and baked one after another but all of them had same problem.

all replies will be appreciated.

substance painter version:

8.1.2 build 1782

PC specs:

i5-8400

GTX 1070 8Gb

16Gb ddr4

if you want i can provide mesh files too.

TOPICS
Baking , Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Can you provide a link to the two mesh files (high and low poly). It may just be the front and rear distance settings need adjustment

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any ideas?

Even if you think it might help, please comment it. I would like to test any ideas you have to overcome the problem and write here for those who have had or will have this problem.

All comments will be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a link to the two mesh files (high and low poly). It may just be the front and rear distance settings need adjustment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

thanks a lot. you were exactly right. i decreased rear and front distances and my trouble solved.

May I ask what is causing this problem? I want to know it so that I can follow it in the future work so that I don't encounter such a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you bake a normal map, the software traces away from the surface of the low poly to find the high poly so that it can bake the variations in the normal direction into the normal map.  However, in a case like yours where two elements are close to each other, such as between the fingers, it can pick up the wrong surface of the high poly e.g the surface of the opposite finger. Reducing the distance prevents that. Of course, if you reduce the distance too far, it may miss parts of the high poly mesh.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources