Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange behavior during remiport

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I don't understand this behavior of Substance Painter.

Image. 1 - architecture textured in Painter. Imported as fbx, about 10 objects, and 20 UDIM

Image 2 - I am moving the objects, the tower on the right and the wall front. Reimport as fbx and the result is comletely bad

Image 3 - Test. I have imported only a few objects, and the texures on these objects are wrong. In all cases the UV does not change.

Someone can explain this behavior of PAinter. Does it mean that after starting texturing I cannot change the mesh. Move, add element etc. Changes are part of the job.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Brush strokes painted in 3D space are reprojected in 3D, so if you mesh change/move thet brush strokes won't be re-projected as before. That's actually a feature : this allow to change your mesh topology or UVs while the mesh should still remain in the same position as before.

You should leverage the Geometry Mask hiding feature to paint underneath things instead of moving away obejcts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brush strokes painted in 3D space are reprojected in 3D, so if you mesh change/move thet brush strokes won't be re-projected as before. That's actually a feature : this allow to change your mesh topology or UVs while the mesh should still remain in the same position as before.

You should leverage the Geometry Mask hiding feature to paint underneath things instead of moving away obejcts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Léna Piquet - Froyok 

I am having a similar problem as shown above. I have a mesh that is fully textured, which I had to go back and alter. But when I try to re-import the updated model I get the error message "can't preserve brush strokes, reverting back to old file." 

If I uncheck the "preserve brush strokes" I can load the new model into the scene, but the texture is broken. (It's as if the layers breaks or something?)

The UV map is the exact same for most parts of the model, so I expect the identical parts to work, but they don't.

I thought the problem was the mesh not being in the same position, is this a requirement if it saves strokes based of position in the 3D view and not the UV map? 

I have tried the following things but all of these results in error. 

- put the modified mesh in the exact same location as the old.

- make sure that modified mesh has the same material and that all material names are the same, even for the texture set. 

- made sure that all components of the mesh has the same names. 

- different import settings. With/without preserving brush strokes. 

- creating a smart material and applying to the modified mesh in s new scene. 

I really don't understand why it's not working. The main issue I am having is that I can't exchange the mesh for the new one because of the "failed to preserve brush strokes" and if I uncheck the box all of my layers get broken. 

The only thing that works is assigning the texture (2D) image as a texture. But then I lose my layers and I need to change the texture itself. 

Is there anyway that I can replace the old mesh with the new updated version and keep my layers? I expect texture looking funky in the part of the UV that was changed. But for the parts that are the same I expect it to work. Anything I can try that I haven't tried already? Am I missing something or why isn't it working? 

Unfortunately I can't show pictures because of NDA. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources